1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New guy with questions...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by schnitz, Dec 3, 2004.

1. schnitz

schnitz Member

Hi guys. I'm new to the site (joined yesterday) and have a bit of a dilemma that you might be able to help with. A buddy of mine (who got me started shoveling snow--then plowing it) called me today to see if I would take over his plow accounts because he's got gout that is now in his hand. Pretty bad I know. I'm already pretty packed for accounts and my primary truck is down now with a bad starter and a worse front u-joint. My back-up truck (which I just ordered the snow bear plow for today) is only a 2wd v6 5 speed truck. Not really great for a ton of plowing I'm sure, but it will have to do for right now. Question is, do I take on his accounts (2 restaurants and a hotel) or just ship them to someone else? Each one is about an hour to plow and shovel. If I leave him hanging, I'm a little leery of his not ever getting the image he built up back. This guy will help anyone-anytime. Heck of a favor to ask of me. Any thoughts??

2. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

Assuming you are insured and licenced, any chance of hiring a sub with thier own equipment to cover those accounts? You will maintain control of the accounts, and as an added bonus, if your equipment doesnt hold up he can help with your accounts. If you hire someone good, you will honor your friends name and reputation. Just my thought..

Bill

3. EskiePages

EskiePages Junior Member

Where are you at in Central Wisconsin?

4. schnitz

schnitz Member

Wausau. And I'm still trying to grow my business so I'm not really that well connected. I have insurance, but not enough business sense to really make a good go-at-it just yet. I gave $500 this spring for my '84 plowtruck, and am almost regretting doing it. It still needs a ton of work to present a positive image for my business (at least in my eyes). My customers don't seem to care that much about the looks of it though.

5. EskiePages

EskiePages Junior Member

I might have been able to recommend someone that could maybe help in the Eau Claire/Menomonie area, but I don't know anyone in Wausau, so can't help there.

What kind of truck did you get? I got my plowtruck over in Stetsonville(near Medford). I'm swapping the plow to my '79 J10, but will hopefully work on the '83 it came on next year(tranny had reverse gear ground up....not good for plowing!). Just figured it's better off on a truck I know better, therefore the '79 gets to plow instead! :)

Wish I could help more with suggestions, but hope all turns out well for you and your friend!

6. schnitz

schnitz Member

It's an old Chevy farm truck. Real rusty. With the drivers door window down you can see probably 50% of the glass through the rust. As a plus though, the truck has got a 700 4R trans and an extra cooler. Last year I scored an '86 Suburban and an unmounted 7'6" Western for $600 total ($200 for the plow). I got rid of the 'Burb and kept the plow as a back-up. Not bad I guess. Thanks for all the help guys.