1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Guy with Questions: Fisher MM and F150

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by BillM2, Jan 9, 2011.

1. BillM2

BillM2 Junior Member

I finally got my MM 7.5 RD mounted on my '94 F150 shortie 4X4. I haven't had a plow on a truck since the 1970's ('76 F100, straight 6, 3 on the tree, chains) and have a couple of questions.

Is the safety chain used when plowing at its length to the pavement or just disconnect it?

When driving with the plow up, is it correct to position the safety chain, then release the pressure in the hoses or should pressure be in the hoses? In other words, should the chain be holding up the plow while on the road?

I have a heavy duty flasher installed but my turn signals (both front and back) are very weak. When I disconnect the wiring harness, all's fine. Should I try a different flasher or is there a different issue -- the need for a heavy duty alternator, a bad ground?

Thanks for the advice fellas!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  2. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

The only time i use my safety chains on my MM plows is when i'm taking them off of the truck (to prevent the headgear from falling backwards into the hood) or to short chain the plow if it breaks. Otherwise i use D-ring clips to attach them to the main lift chain and keep them away from any moving parts or hoses.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i do the same thing. when the plow is down on the ground i attach the safety chain and just leave it there cause it allows the plow to be raised and go from side to side.