1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new guy with pump problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cojab, Dec 4, 2006.

1. cojab

cojab Junior Member

Hello all. I just bought a pick up with a 71/2 western snow plow on it to plow my driveway and neighbors. I am not doing any commercial stuff. The plow was working fine and I parked it waiting for the first snow. When I went to use it the blade would not raise up. I took off a cover where one of the cables went into the pump and it was full of ice. I chipped this out but noticed the cable was not attached to the connection where it hooks up to the lever inside the cover. I crimped this back together. Also on the back of the pump there is a threaded piece coming out of the pump with a lock nut on it and a plug in it. I pulled this plug out and didn't notice anything. Put everything together and blace would lift but drop right down after letting off the control and when I tried to angle the blade it would lift not angle. I thought stuff was frozen in the pump so I took it off and left it inside until it warmed up. Replaced the fluid cleaned it up and pu it back on. Blade goes up and angles slowly but again drops when I let off the control. I noticed when I was putting the pump back on there was a ball bearing looking ball sitting on the bumper. The only place I could imagine this coming from was from the threaded deal on the back of the pump. I pulled the plug from there again and there was nothing in there. Is there supposed to be a valve or something in there? Any ideas. I always thought a plow was just a simple hydraulic pump. Thers more to it than just that I'm seeing. Thanks for the help, sorry for the long post.

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

3. cojab

cojab Junior Member

Thanks a bunch for the reply. It seems to me that I probably lost a spring holding that check ball behind the plug. Probably laying on the ground below the pump. I really appreciate the manual. Thats exactly what I was looking for when I got on the net and found this site. I guess I double scored. I'll find the spring and ball and do some adjusting and see what happens. Thanks again.

4. cojab

cojab Junior Member

Just sent my kids outside to look for the spring (I'm at work) my daughter found it. I might just be in luck. Thanks again for the help!!!!

5. cojab

cojab Junior Member

Hey Crash, just wanted to thank you again. I just got back from Vegas, (where it was 68 degrees) and finally had time to really check out the pump. I adjusted the cables and valves per the manual, changed fluid, etc. and it is working like a champ. Thanks for the help.