1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Guy With Lots of ?'s Please Help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by firemonkey88, Jan 26, 2005.

1. firemonkey88

firemonkey88 Junior Member

I am so glad that I found this site. I will appologize in advance for the long post but I got a lot of questions to get resolved so I can get earning money before the end of the winter.

First off I am 21 and in college in NW Indiana. I am from Cleveland. I plowed for about 2 years in high school and the the first winter of college (during breaks.) I have been out of plowing since then b/c I have not had my own equipment. Back home I mostly plowed with a Ranger ext cab with a meyers that was not mine. I have been wanting to get a plow on my truck since I bought it but just never really got it going b/c I was unsure how to find jobs yadda yadda.

Well now I got hooked up with a guy that is plowing up here and he wants me to get into with him so we can expand the bussiness. He has what he says is a 2002 Model 7'6" Western Pro Series (Unimount?) He wants to hook me up with he says all I need is the frame mount and the wiring. I have never plowed with western so I am not sure what exactly I need to get.

So here is what I got: 1990 GMC K-1500 ext Cab Short Bed 4x4 350 Auto. I just rebuilt the tranny and had it beefed up with the intend of plowing and towing my race trailer with it. I am putting the tranny cooler in this weekend. Like I said I am a poor college kid trying to make some cash so I am trying to find the parts I need used on ebay or this site or some where besides the $550 that dealer says it will cost for the frame mount. So what exactly do I need for (part numbers). Where can I get it cheap?

We are doing mostly residential and small medium commercial accounts. Do you think the truck is up to the task? I am in the process of putting together my 1990 F-250 Reg cab 8' 351W Manual I think that once its up and running I am going to put the plow on it or maybe not.

I think that is it. Any other tips or info you can provide, would be great. I have been doing my homework and also reading all kinds of forums on here and it looks like western is one of the best bets in plows. I love this site so far and can't wait to get back to plowing especiallly with western equipment.

Thanks in advance.
  2. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have a Blazer w/ 7.5' western in the forsale section on here ( pics also ) This would fit your chevy truck if you wanted to save some $$ and have a way to remove it from the Blazer and put it on your truck.

IM in indy BTW......
  3. firemonkey88

firemonkey88 Junior Member

Wow I did not know that something that old would fit on my truck. I already have a newer unimount plow that I want to get if you read the post so thanks but no thanks. I am still looking for help with what i need to get this 2002 Unimount? working on my K-1500
  4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

You answered your own question: Truckside mount and wiring then your good to go. Ask the dealer for the part number for the mount if you want to try to find it used. Wiring you will probley have to buy new.