1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New guy with a few questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by sluggish, Aug 15, 2010.

1. sluggish

sluggish Junior Member

Been lurking for a little while but just signed up and have a few questions. First off, I am not new to snow clearing as I have been subcontracting for a few companies for the past few years here up in the great white north. I have a pretty good idea of how long it takes to do a parking lot, condo complex, strip mall etc(I have only done commercial work). Now the questions: I'm looking at taking on some of my own work and really just don't know how to go about wording a contract and how I should be bidding it. For example, suppose I have determined a lot will take 10 hours to clear and my rate is $75/hr. Obviously each storm is $750 to clear(based on up to 4 inches). What if it snows more, is there a clause that I should be considering to cover my butt? I have some hourly callout work lined up but want to get into some monthly contracts and really don't know how to word it to make sure I don't lose my shirt, but still remain competetive. I've heard through the grapevine that guys are bidding based on two storms per month and charging standard hourly rates for anything above. Does that sound like a standard contract to you guys? If not, what does? Also, I'm wondering how to judge the amount of salt/sand mix to spread. Is there kind of a standard that people use such as ":x" number of yards per acre or something like that? If someone has a sample contract that they could send my way, it would really help to clear things up. If you don't want to post it here, I understand, please just pm me. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

P.S. I'm not looking to steal any of your work, unless you are in Calgary Alberta tymusic;)

2. dumbyankee

dumbyankee Member

Bid work, or bidding a job is something that takes experience and knowing your area. If you are unsure allways add a clause in your contract for anything above normal for your area. The sand/salt part of your question, There is no basic rule that I use. I realize that did not answer your question but, in my area I use more product earlier in the year than later on in the season. December and January are the two months I use the most product. The reason is there is very little loss due to natural melting. So I take a bit of a hit untill I get past these two months. After that, I close my gate up and use less product later on in the season, but still charge the same amount. I sand on a flat fee, based on area. How much I use depends on the grade of the drive,or road, and how many intersections I have to deal with. Go to the salt institute site, they have a form you can print out and calibrate your sander to. At least you will know how much product you are putting out.