1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new guy wants a jeep?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Smitty58, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I'm looking ahead to this winter ,I would like to get into residential and small commercial plowing. I don't currently have a 4x4 ,but I would like a jeep. Will a jeep do the job or is something else better? What is the best plow setup for a jeep and what can I expect to spend?
  2. cigam

cigam Guest

I saw a guy in Massachusetts that uses all Jeeps for commercial plowing once. Short wheel base and all. But in my opinion they arn't build to do commercial plowing. Your own driveway would be fine, but if you do a lot more than that, it probably wears it down quite a bit.
  3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you can use a jeep throw like a 7ft meyers plow i have said it before in previous post's that my family and friends haved used the cj5 and 7 was the only thing they used for res and com

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Beware: you can't put a plow on a Grand Cherokee, only a Cherokee. Shame, my wifes 97 Grand Cherokee would be a great plow truck!
  5. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Plowing with jeeps

I have used Jeeps exclusively to plow, Some with Myers, some with Western. All belt driven pump assemblies, and conventional mount systems.

My jeep use goes back to a 1946 CJ 2A with a hand pump in the middle between the two seats.

Jeeps are reliable, manuverable, and perfect for the job.
    My Cj's and Jeep pickups have been wonderful for plowing.
    I stand by them, especially the ones with leaf springs!
  6. '76cj5

'76cj5 Member

I've used a CJ jeep for 20 years now. The contractor I work with sends me into all the gas stations, shipping docks, bank ATM's, residential customers, well you get the idea.

I probably hit about 15 different locations in 8 hours. Can plow the whole time on 1 tank of gas. The hardest thing is getting your timing down on large parking lots, you don't want to mess up the rythim the guys in the big trucks have going.

I use a 7' Meyers because parts are so available in my area. I also run a huge alterator, dual batteries and air shocks on the front to take up the extra weight.

Older CJ's rust quickly, I have a fiberglass tub on mine. Best to find a YJ or something like that.
  7. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

Well I bought a 86 cj7 258 4 spd. It has a 4 inch lift ,perfect body ,hard top ,and it runs great. It does need a few minor things like mirrors ,seats (past owner put in some extreme buckets that must go). So I need to fix a few small things and then add the plow. I have no idea what to look for in a plow ,so I need some advice.

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Go to e-bay and the For Sale section here. I found a great Fisher plow for my Jimmy here in the For Sale section!
  9. fga

fga Member

what's going on? rare to see Staten islanders on these sites. PM'ed ya.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2004

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

:waving: WOW! A Staten Islander! The closest I thought was a guy from Brooklyn and a few from Long Island. Not to forget our New Jersey neighbors, but I mean from the NYC area. I'll check that pm and reply!

anthony tractor f150 2.jpg
  11. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

i have a 98 wrangler with 6.5 blizzard...it works good for small tight areas..the plow is only 250lbs so its easy to handle,even when its off, and blizzard has the power hitch which is a must have..make sure you put a tranny cooler in, you dont want to boil the fluid..the plow installed i paid around 2800 and it does a good job... hello to staten island guys ...i live in great kills and plow some condo complexes and buisnesses in si..why are we reading about snow stuff when its 92' outside???this is an illness that we have and you will have it to smitty...good luck.

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Hey make room for the SI boys! I PMed you JAX.

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Hey JAX, you are wondering what we are doing here when it's the dead of summer? Did you see that Ford pickup (with plow) parked on Arthur Kill Road for a few weeks? I guess he broke down because the window was open and the rear wheel was on the curb, not to mention the plow in the bucking position while parked! Now I don't seem too addicted sitting in my house with the A/C on thinking about snow....well maybe! :dizzy:
  14. fga

fga Member

Another Islander....... cool.