1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Guy w/ Questions for 99 Chevy S-10

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by ck76239, Oct 14, 2004.

1. ck76239

ck76239 Junior Member

Hi Guys, I'm new here, and I'm thinking of getting a plow for my 99 Chevy S-10. I was looking at the Fisher Homesteader on Fisher's website. I've read through some old threads on this site, but this will be my first plow, so I have a lot of questions...

First off, let me give you some background information. I want to plow my own driveway, my parents driveway, and my in-laws driveway. I live in upstate NY, and we get a lot of snow... Last year we had 167.5" snow for the winter.

My Truck is a 99 Chevy S-10 4x4 Extended cab, 4.3 liter v-6 engine and a 5 speed manual transmisssion. It has 60,000 miles on it.

I was looking at the Fisher Homesteader, anyone have any thought on this setup, given the capabilites of my pickup, and the residential plowing I plan to do :confused:

How much would the average cost be for the complete plow with hydralics, controls and installation???? I'm thining around $3000, but I'm really not sure :confused:

Also what are Timbrens? I've read on other threads that if I put these on my torsion bars, they will reduce front end sag...

Thank You in advance :)

Chris
    aka Ck76239

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

The Homesteader is a good little set up. My boss has one on his Ranger and absoutely loves it. The only problem you might have is with a really big single event. The Homesteader mold board is kind of short so you might have problems if you try to plow a single 12"+ storm in just one trip. Plow with the storm and you should be fine.

The homesteader is so light and so easy to take off and put on I wouldn't bother with Timbrens.

3. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Your price estimate should be right in the ballpark.

4. h_riderca

h_riderca Member

I looked at the Homesteader plow also. But went with the Blizzard 680LT instead. I thought it was better made and was just as light weight. I only plow about 10 driveways with it a season

5. ck76239

ck76239 Junior Member

Thanks for the replies guys!

I think the 5 Speed manual transmission is probably more durable for plowing snow than a automatic, anyone agree?

Does anyone know how much plowing a few driveways will beat up my S-10. Is the front end durable enough???

Thanks!

6. h_riderca

h_riderca Member

if you treat your equipment right you should not have problems. I plowed last year with my 2001 blazer and only did regular oil changes.

7. patric42

patric42 Junior Member
    from Maine

The homesteader is a great setup. I got one last year installed for $2,400 on my 2002 blazer LS. I live in maine, I plow my driveway, my apartments and my mother's house. Not a problem, would highly recommend this unit. Probably would not want to make a living with it, but for what I do I would buy another one in a heatbeat. I've plowed some honking big storms too and the mold board height was not a problem. Some people don't like the plastic moldboard, but in my job as Director of City Services for a large City in Maine, one of the departments I oversee is Public Wroks, all our plow vehicles, and we have a pile of them,have plastic moldboads, form the dustpans to the wings, from the highway trucks to the loaderplows. I would venture they get more use and abuse than most on this board give their equipment. They stand up great. I have never posted to this site, mostly just a lurker, but a lot of people rag on the homesteader and the snobear, they are great for what they were designed for, personnal snow removal. I love my homesteader, would buy another, should work well for what you said you want to do. Take care and best wishes in your plow quest.

8. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

To your question in reference to five speed transmission. If I were buying a truck specificaly to plow with I would get an automatic. Modern automatics are at least as durable internally as any manual. The weak link plowing with a stick is generally the clutch.

If you are going to put a lightweight plow like a Homesteader on your 5-spd S-10 you should be fine as long as you take it easy on the clutch and trans.

9. patric42

patric42 Junior Member
    from Maine

They make two size homesteaders. The small one is pretty small, 6'8" to small I think, I got the larger one 7'4" and the moldboard is 2 feet tall, I believe it only weighs 280 lbs. Check it out here http://www.homesteaderplows.com/ Best wishes.

10. In shopping around for a plow last year for my Ranger I looked at everything. The Homesteader was kinda cool, but I really liked the Bilzzard a lot. The prices were generally the same for both but I ended up buying a Sno-Way with down pressure used for 1200 bucks so I ended up getting that. I have no regrets since it was like half price of the others, new but I still like the Blizzard 680LT. I think if you decided on the Homesteader, Blizzard or I guess even the Sno-Way, you'll be ok.