1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New guy trying to get some things strait

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by 02Chevy, Mar 10, 2006.

1. 02Chevy

02Chevy Junior Member

I have heard a lot of bad things about meyers from a lot of people but my meyer dealer is closer then any other plow dealer. I was looking at a western for my 1500 but they are heavy and taller then meyer just trying to get some facts about both before I make a bad choice. Woried about over heating and wear and tear.
  2. Whip

Whip Member

I guess it's all a matter of preference. I started plowing 15 years ago with a Meyer and have been satisfied. Granted, the lightness factor affects backdragging a bit as opposed to a Western.
    A friend of mine started plowing at the same time and uses Westerns much to his satisfaction.
    If I were to change though, I think I'd get a Blizzard. I have installed them and like the way they are built.
  3. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Hey there...just thought I'd chime in on your post. I bought my Meyer USED about a little over a year ago. All I can say is that it has been GREAT!!

I have a 7.5' blade and an E-47 pump. I've read bad things about this set up, but I couldn't afford new and since I was just starting out, I didn't want to spend $4000 on a new set up anyways. I wasn't even sure I'd like it, ya know?

Anyways, 2 seasons later and very minimal maintenance, I think this Meyer has been a great investment.

If you're looking for a FANTASTIC service dept. for your snowplow (whatever you decide to get) head over to "Mulch and More" on Brookpark Rd in Cleveland.

Those guys know their stuff. Let me know if you have any questions.
  4. 02Chevy

02Chevy Junior Member

Well I will mostly be doing residential and back dragging a lot so i don’t know. Just worried about overheating because truck doesn’t have plow prep.
  5. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

Quality of the dealer is a key consideration. I bought an older wester used. Its needed a bit of work, but nothing serious and I can do most anything myself. Both of our dealers: Fisher and the Western/Boss/Blizzard guys are great and will help you out regardless of the brand of your plow. I've been given cell numbers and told to call 24/7 if I need parts or anything during an event. All brands have their pros and cons. The fact that they remain competative with each other (kinda like the ford, chevy, dodge thing) indicates they are all decent products. I like the western because of my experience. If the meyer is a bit light for back dragging, consider installing a backdrag edge. If the truck overheats, its a problem with the truck, not the plow and there are solutions to deal with it.
  6. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

meyer good plow

I have used Meyer snow plows for 35+ years. When I have a question I call the tech line and get an answer. The company is 50 miles from me so parts are easy to get. I have purchased new and used Meyer snow plows. When you can see 25 yr old Meyer snow plows out plowing that says a lot.

7. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

If you have a auto trany be sure to add the biggest trany cooler that will fit in the front of your raditor. If you do a lot of traveling you may have to add a heavy duty raditor, other wise take it slow with the plow just above the road.
  8. 02Chevy

02Chevy Junior Member

Thanks eveyone for your input. gene gls i think my truck has a trany cooler but im not sure. How can you tell?
  9. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

It will have a small one if you have the auto trany, you need a big one. You can see it mounted in front of the raditor.
  10. chevyplowboy

chevyplowboy Junior Member

myers and western plows

I started plowing with a 92 chevy 2500hd with 8' western blade. great plow smooth roll now i have a 98 1500 with 7'5 myers with a e60 pump the blade sucks but the pump is great.