1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Guy saying hi and asking for advice on spreader

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by opformitch, Nov 6, 2011.

1. opformitch

opformitch Junior Member
    from Utah

Hey Everyone:

My name is Chris and it looks like this will finally be the year when I start pushing snow to make some money in the winter time. It is something I have wanted to do for years but couldn't afford the plow.

I have a 2007 F350 diesel (and a spare 1999 f250 super duty) that I just bought a 8 foot hiniker full trip steel plow for. This wasn't my first choice in plows but for $3,500 new in the boxes and out the door it is the plow I went with. I used this site to compare it to other plows in the same category and it seemed a sound company with good equipment. I had to buy the plow so I can keep my parents 1 mile long gravel road and driveway clear as my father recently suffered a stroke and I need to make sure EMS can always get to him.

Since I had to buy the plow for that I figured why not go a shade deeper into debt up front and do some residential and possibly light commercial snow removal also, insurance is handled and the equipment is paid all for. I understand that plowing is quite hard on vehicles but I am an apt mechanic and well capable of understanding that ramming your equipment full bore into a stack of snow is not a smart idea. It is more about using the weight and momentum of the truck in moderation to get the snow where it needs to be. I have also learned the hard way that stacking snow in the right place is key to not affect drive way visibility and safety as well as not have it drift back in. :blush2:

I am not going to go into my business plans except to say that I have worked through all the proffit forms (again directed to from your website) and I know what I can charge for what size driveway and drive time to it and turn a 10-17% profit. I have run equipment of all types for years and have spent many a cold frigid hour on a tractor plowing snow. I have no doubt that if I can get the white stuff moved with that POS tractor that I will manage to do it with a super duty truck. Everything from wind-rowing to stacking was a nightmare with that gray market hypothermia machine.

I would like to buy a cheap spreader to spread salt (bagged salt most likely) but am against this quandary.

A small push behind spreader will run me close to 200 for a decent one. I don't plan on doing large parking lots so to keep ice management equipment costs down a push style is fine in my eyes. However I have seen tailgate spreaders from Spintech that are close to the same price and would be quicker. I will post this question in a spreader forum also, but has anyone used any of the spin tech tailgate spreaders?

Where I am having the most problem is figuring what to charge for ice removal, most things I have seen just suggest charging 3 times the material cost to cover equipment and labor. Is this kind of the standard around the industry? My numbers (again not going to go into details) show that I could go under that and still turn a profit, but I don't want to go undercutting everyone and making enemies out of those in the business right out of the gate.

Thanks
    Chris (Mitch)

2. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Welcome to plow site ! you will find lots of info here just give it time, the search butten will be a big help finding your answers to your quistions, or just ask in the right forum, good luck!