1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New guy, questions about town plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Rye 21, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Rye 21

Rye 21 Junior Member
    from MA

Hi guys!

I'm wanting to plow for my local town DPW. I work there in the summer time anyways, so I figured I join the fight against the snow in the winter.

I'm looking at getting another truck, and I've come up with two that are almost the same except ones a 2500 and ones a 3500. They're both 94 GMC Sierras, 350/auto trucks. Both have the same plow setup, both the same color, both the same price. What would you go for? I know the 3500 has the 14bolt FF Rear, bigger leaf packs, thicker T bars, and the brakes are different. I was leaning toward the 1 ton.

Another question, How would these trucks affect the cost of registration? I know I'll need Commercial plates.

Its a real small town, the roads are not huge, and we have 10 wheelers that take care of the main roads. This truck would just be pushing the side streets and lots.

I have a 95 GMC sierra LD2500 that I use but it only has a 7'6" MM plow, and I dont want to work that truck hard because its a DD.

How should I go about my selection?

Thanks!

2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

before you buy anything call your town and find out if they have certain specifications

3. Rye 21

Rye 21 Junior Member
    from MA

I know they want 100k coverage on comm plates, 9ft blades, and atleast a 3/4 ton. My question I guess is really what truck I should look for

4. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

I'd go with the 3500, if it's in good enough shape. The bigger truck will handle the 9 footer better than the 2500, although I did have a 9 footer on my 2500 for a storm and it seemed to handle fine, but I wouldn't want to keep it on all season.

I love plowing for my town, but if your looking to make a ton of money then you should look into private stuff. All my plowing is for the city, but I work year round so plowing is just a nice little bonus for me.

5. MattsPlowingWI

MattsPlowingWI Junior Member

Good point - verify the town spec! Also check if higher rates are paid for other optional equipment too (2500/3500, Gas/Diesel...). The 3500 GVWR is higher than a 2500, but in most states it isn't going to put you in a higher priced annual registration fee bracket. Most importantly the 3500 is going to allow you to carry more weight in the bed! Heavy wet snow will be harder to plow the lighter the truck. Our pickup trucks tip the scales at 10k-12k with 9' v-plow, salt & spreader. It's great for plowing but hard on the suspension, front end and u-joints....The bigger the truck(read "Chevy") the better!