1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Guy Question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by nwmoguy, Nov 23, 2011.

1. nwmoguy

nwmoguy Junior Member

I am new here obviously, I had a couple questions.

I bought a 1992 Ford F250 4x4 with a 351 last year with intentions of plowing but came upon some hardships so I couldnt afford the plow.

I held onto the truck till this year with hopes of finding a plow and I did, I bought a Meyer 7 1/2' ( im guessing lol, its got a 90" cutting edge) plow with saber light, the hoop, E60 pump, and a truck mount for a late model Chevy, ( believe it was on a 2005 3/4 Chevy )

Anyway to the questions

Can I make the mount work or should I get a new one?

Do I need to make any modifications to the truck or suspension before I install the plow? The truck has new brakes, good "heavy duty" shocks and the all four leaf springs look great. It has a newer engine, good transmission, and has not had any issues.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Look for a used mount. The Ford and Chevy frames are world apart width, height every thing.
  3. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

First the night saber lights are sort of an oval shape, and tapered down at one end.

If your good at fabricating you can use the mount you have and make it work on your truck. The thing is which mount do you have ? That can make a difference in the amount of fabrication your going to need to do. If you have one like the MD II the cross bars are the same you just need to get new mount brackets to bolt it to your frame.

As far as mods to the truck, your F-250 should handle the plow with no problems, as far as suspension and power goes. however depending on how much plowing you plan on doing, if it isn't allready equiped with a trans cooler you may want to look into putting one in. If you only plan on doing 2 or 3 driveways, you could install one next summer in the off season, but if you plan on say 10 or so I would look into getting it done sooner.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  4. nwmoguy

nwmoguy Junior Member

Thanks guys, I will look for another mount, they are the saber lights I just checked, they look brand new so hopefully they last a while lol
  5. herbert02

herbert02 Member

This will be a good truck for you if you get it ready for what you throw at it. Proper preparation prevents piss poor performance.
  6. nwmoguy

nwmoguy Junior Member

I'll check into the transmission cooler, I think thats definitely a good tip to make the truck last a while, I have already had SEVERAL people in my area talking about the fact that I got a plow and wanting to "sign up" for snow removal which is awesome.

I work full time on an ambulance service so I have been telling them that on my days off I will plow on a "when they need me" basis and will just charge when I do it instead of making agreements since I can not fully commit to signing contracts unless I can get a buddy to plow when I am working