1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Guy Plowing Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JohnsonLawn, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

I was wondering if I can make more money plowing for the state or town (currently $48-$54 per hour for DRW 1 Ton trucks) or trying to concentrate of commercial and residential accounts. I have a Chevy 1 ton dump w/ 8 ft fisher plow 454 ci motor really eats the fuel but can move a house. Any info greatly appreciated. thanks

2. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

should make at least $150/hr on your own... worst case $100

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

but you have more responsibility/headache. you make more on your own but is it worth it? Only you can answer that........

4. Snowboy9999

Snowboy9999 Junior Member

If you work on your own, you are motivated to move quickly and can price accordingly. If you're a good plower, setup your contracts on a per push basis and you can use your speed to make more.

If I were you, I would bid both. If you get some good paying commercial jobs, then tell the city you don't want the contract. Just make sure you give them whatever notice the contract says you have to give.

I have no idea what your prices are like there, but that amount sounds really low. In Missouri, we get $40 per hour for our summer laborers. Just a worker with no truck and no equipment. We've always felt that snow removal is an emergency service and therefore demands higher prices. I can hardly imagine $45 or $50 being worth the hassle, cost and wear and tear you put on your truck plowing.

5. bcf

bcf Senior Member

If you can handle the stress, but like being the shoulders everything falls on, it's definately worth it to get your own contracts. Just be prepared for plenty of headaches.

6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

johnsonlawn
    what town in se massachusetts? From what i hear the state pays well but takes for ever to pay their plowers, their more worried about tracking them with the nextel gps then they are about paying!

7. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

You need to see what the going market rate is in your area. I live in Ohio and around the area that i will be plowing there would be no such thing as 100-150 dollars per hour. Here the going rate is around 60-70 dollars per hour. I wish i could get that kind money it just wont happen. Competition is it all. If someone is going to plow a lot cheaper they will get the job instantly that is how is works here. I will be using a 2005 Chevy 2500HD with an 8' Pro Steel Western Plow.

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i do both i plow for my self and do roads for the city works out good i get paid the next day

9. Jay51

Jay51 Junior Member

Working for yourself you can make more money!

10. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

It doesnt seem worth it for $50 an hour. especially wit your overhead costs. you would make more working for yourself

11. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

No need to bring up 6 year old threads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.