1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New guy on the block

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BurbLover, Nov 8, 2003.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover Junior Member

Greetings all. I just registered and thought I'd start off with a post. I was refered to this site from a 4x4 site I am on a bit. (www.coloradok5.com ) Anyway, I will be plowing for the first year this winter for a friend who owns a lawn care/snow plow business. He is going to show me the ropes of both so that I can start my own business. He currently truns away enough work for both that mine should run just fine.

So, anyone got any good advice for the new kid on the block, as well as for starting my own business? I have copies of his contracts, so I should be okay there.

Thanks in advance!!

2. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

It would be to your benifit to read through as many posts as you can. You will be amazed at the amount of usefull information you will find! When I first found the site - I read through almost every thread - great way to start.

Chuck B.
  3. BurbLover

BurbLover Junior Member

Thanks. I actualy strated that the other day. Have seen some good stuff. As I have time, I'll try to keep reading.
  4. Joe3113

Joe3113 Member

Welcome to plowsite:waving: What kind of equipment do you have? You can also use the search feature at the top of the page to help find more info on starting your own business.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2003
  5. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

welcome to plowsite:waving:

Do a search on information you are looking for and you should be able to find any and all info you need.:)

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

prepare to be entertained and educated

7. BurbLover

BurbLover Junior Member

As far as equipment, all I have so far is a 85 K30 P/U to put a plow on. Snce I am working for someone this winter, I am going to be using their equipment and will be saving to buy a new plow for next winter. My plan is a 7.5-8' Western plow with the universal mount. Installed is $3500 locally.

I'd also lioke to add that it's kinds neat seeing all the people form upstate NY. I am originally from Virgil (Cortland) and don't get back there much.

Anyone out there from near Virgil/Cortland area?
  8. cnypropertysvcs

cnypropertysvcs Member

Welcome to plowsite!!:waving:

I agree with everyone else here and what they've posted so far- use the search funciotn( beware it can be quite overwhelming at times with how much info it returns!!! LOL!!) and keep reading- there is more info here that has been invaluable to me- jsut needed time to process it all.

As far as being from upstate- I used to work in the Cortland area- now I'm really from upstate- near Lake Ontario in SNOW COUNTRY!!! LOL!! I get dumped on here regularly with lake effect snow!, IT's a wonderful thing!!:D

Great to have you aboard!!

9. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Welcome Burblover ! :D
    I have an '86 K30 with an 8 ft Western (old style) You might want to think about the 8.5 ft. Your Dana 60 front axle will hold it and if you have the dual rear wheeel model, the 8 ft just barely clears a path for the outside dual. I am adding ProWings to mine to help. Think about the 8 and a half. We also do a Colorado Plowsite members BBQ. You missed it for fall but stay in touch. We will have one in the spring. and again. Welcome. Good folks and good info are under yer clicker...:waving:
  10. KenP

KenP Senior Member

Welcome, the only stupid question is the one not asked!!!!:dizzy:
  11. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

A GREAT place to start would be the FAQ page. LOTS of good advice on a wide range of topics!!
  12. SDM Landscaping

SDM Landscaping Junior Member

Cortland NY

I'm from Lansing, NY right next to Cortland!!
  13. BurbLover

BurbLover Junior Member

SDM Landscaping: I actually grew up about 1 mile NW of Greek Peak Ski Resort on Page Green Road.

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

:waving: WELCOME!!! You will love this site!!! Good luck!
  15. SDM Landscaping

SDM Landscaping Junior Member

yep i know exactly where your talking about... its a small world
  16. chevy guy37

chevy guy37 Member

Welcome to plowsite!:waving: