1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New guy on the block with a question

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by Rustyk, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Rustyk

Rustyk Junior Member

Hi,currently own 2010 reg. cab. 3500 chevy with 8 1/2 ft.fisher exv plow.Just plow my own driveway with this truck.Been plowing for over 40yrs.980 cat loaders at Bradley Int. Airport -lots- roads and driveways.My question is Jeep TJ 4 banger, small plow.I'm tired of the truck its just to big and I don't use it as a truck any more. Will the jeep fill my needs.I know it won't be a power house or set any speed records but i'm way past that. Thanks for being here and thanks for any replies.I've been lurking for a few yrs and you guys are great.
    Rusty

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

What kind of driveway? 2 car? 2 miles? On the side of mountain?

3. Rustyk

Rustyk Junior Member

I knew as soon as I hit post I had left this out and somebody was gonna pounce on it.Small drive.With turn around.I could spit across the whole thing

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

You should be fine with the Jeep just remember to plow with the storm.

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

How small is "small blade" I use 7 1/2 ft blades on all my jeeps. I found the jeep to be almost 2X faster than the PU I started plowing with.

I think you will be surprised.

6. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

You'll be absolutely fine. Put any regular duty 7-1/2 foot or light duty plow on your Jeep and have at it.

7. Rustyk

Rustyk Junior Member

Thanks-7 1/2 at least.Getting close to retirement and might plow some neighbor hood drives.Taking my time will the 4 cylinder hold up?
    Rusty

8. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I think it will hold up. I had one as a teen i beat the hell out of it. This does not mean not to be easy with it. I'm sure you know this but if your stuck get pulled out or something. Don't tear it up. Good luck with it.

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Lots of people plow with the 4 cyl I think it was the only option that had a many plow Co recameded for plow (front GVW limit).

10. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

There will be enough power. I used to plow my drive with an 80's Toyota with probably less than a 90hp motor and that worked great, no power problems. I have a 7' plow on a Cherokee and this year I am going with a 6.6 SUV style blade which is considerably lighter. The wider and heavier blade worked great, but seemed a little overkill, so we'll see how the lighter blade works on snow this winter, to compare.

11. Rustyk

Rustyk Junior Member

Thanks very much for the input,you guys confirmed my thoughts.The Jeep is something i've always wanted,had pickups my whole driving time.Time for some fun!Will post pics when I find the right rig.Time to clean up the truck put the plow on it and hang a sign on it.Rusty

12. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

When jeep shopping, take a screwdriver n hammer along. Carefully check frame for rust! Bang away. Hammer will bounce off good steel. That is - upper n lower control arm areas n esp around/near trans skid plate. Esp in rust belt...lots of folk try to cover rust with rattle cans. Lots of fun n luck in your approaching retirement!