1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New guy: no power to cab

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by J.A.Ward, Dec 4, 2006.

1. J.A.Ward

J.A.Ward Junior Member
    from Maine

Hello, New guy here, and with plowing. I bought a 1997 Ford F-350 last year with a 8' MM plow. Worked great all year, but when I hooked it up recently, the control box inside the cab had no power to it. The light wouldn't light and no movement with the controller. I checked all connections I could find, and the two fuses next to the module were hot. I am electrically challenged, so I've done about all I know. Does anybody have any ideas? My next step is to the (gulp) dealer. I think the plow is about 1999 vintage. Thanks, JW

2. nichols

nichols Member

First, try jiggling the connector plug - you may have a flaky connection that could clear itself out with some persuasion. :)

Second, do you know how to work a voltmeter? If so, you can test out the wire in the harness that should have 12 volts going to it when the truck is on.

3. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Yep check the connections at the plugs and battery first. Get some dilectric grease and make sure all conections are clean. And check that ground wire that goes to the pump. That cost me an hour of frustration one day. Has the truck ever had the cables replaced. I had to replace all four of mine. So get a buddy to sit in your truck while you wiggle wires. This is a common problem for the MM

4. korelandscaping

korelandscaping Member
    from CT

Possibly a bad controller, bad ground or follow the red lead off the number one harness that goes into the fuse box inside the truck...like mentioned before check all other connections too.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

the connecter on the end of the controller wire can be very fragile and one little fray or seperation in the connector or the connecting wires could make it not work. Try to get a hold of another controller that ya know works, and try it.

Also, try closing up the female end of the controller connector.

One more thing to mention, the controller will not work unless the headlights on the plow are connected and work.

6. peterng

peterng Senior Member

BINGO ! thanks Mike !
    Pete

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Wow, i posted that almost four years ago! Someone must have utilized the SEARCH feature! NICE!!!! :drinkup:

8. peterng

peterng Senior Member

oh extensive use of the search function Mike :) I noticed your post cause I had emailed you about a buyers tailgate spreader you had for sale a couple of months back on craigslist. I think it was sold time I got through to you.

My wife is from New Hampshire, Nashua in fact. I lived there for 5 years. I bought my plow rig down there recently.

Thanks for your help, keeps me from 100% learning the hard way!
    Pete
    ----
    weplow.ca