1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New guy, new season, new truck... Should I????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Johnny V, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

Hello all.

Well I like to be ready when "it" comes so I am here early asking advice. Right now I own a 2004 desiel Ram and I have a pretty new Boss plow in the driveway.

The plow itself came put together but all the wires and mounts are sitting in my garage. So first question is how hard is it to get that all together? I love my truck, I hate the idea of someone else touching it, I am VERY handy, have all the tools, but never did this before. Is it worth paying someone $350 to get the truck ready and have the plow attached? I do have 2 full time jobs so time is the major problem. The directions look "so-so" and I am not sure how it will be until it is too late and I am in the middle of it.....

Second the truck is brand new and will be plowing a few small apartment lots that I take care of. What would you do to get the truck ready for the winter when it comes to plowing?

She is going to get a nice wax job and I take care of all the mechanical things myself. What should I do for the plowing side of the next few month? Special lights, stobe lights for the tail lights, etc????

Any help or ideas would be great. My truck is a nice looking rig so any kind of lights etc I want to be removable or hidden (like the strobe lights in the tail light) as I want my truck to look great always. It is my only vehicle and when she is shined up and the leather is clean the dates do not mind it is a truck... :p

Thanks for the help, happy plowing, and if you have any suggestions about places to buy stuff from or use to have the plow mounted please let me know!!!

2. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Sounds like you won't have much time to install the plow yourself. I would agree that the wiring doesn't look too complicated, the reason I paid to get mine installed was the actual drilling of the frame for bolt holes. My 18V cordless wouldh've choked. as for lights, a $20 rotary light with a magnetic base up high is all I have, as well as aux. backup lights mounted behind the bumper so they don't get hit.
    Do a search on various things to get some tips, some goods ones are armor-alling the door gaskets so they don't freeze, tire chains, 2 scrapers, run some dry gas through your tanks, get the waterproof red grease for your front end, extra gas can, and plenty of gloves and coffee. Good luck.

3. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

bump to top.....

No one else has any ideas of if I should mount it myself or if I should just pay the pros? No horror stories to scare me into using my local plow shop.... :drinkup:

Also there has to be some ideas on what I can do to the truck that is hidden but helps during plow/dark season....

Lastly anyone in the chicago area that has mounted a plow a few times want the job of helping me and walking me through it for a few bucks?!?!

BCF: I do appreciate your thoughts. I do hope to mount some fog lights under the back bumper for that extra "backing up power"... :)

4. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I have an 87 Chevy that I wired and fitted with a Boss plow. It took me about 4 hours to wire the truck and about 4 hours to put the mount on the front of the pickup. With my installation I only had to drill 2 holes in the frame, the rest were existing. Anyone else should be able to shave about 1-2 hours off that time because I am very anal (thats what my wife says) about my pickup and I had to scrounge for some of the tools, (tourqe wrench, etc.). I would think that you could do it in a couple of nights when you have time. If not, just get it done somewhere as If I could do it it doesn't take a rocket scientist. I would look into a headache rack if you plan on using a magnetic strobe. That way the magnet isn't on the paint on the roof. In the future I would like to see if they offer strobes in the taillights for my 87 Chevy. The thing that I like about doing this stuff yourself is that you KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE when your done.

5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

If i were you id pay someone to do it. Its going to take you 4 times as long. No its not real difficult to install one i could do it all on my own if i had time and patients but id just as soon get done quick. It is beneficial to know how the whole thing works and you learn first hand by installing the plow but if you have never done it and cant find someone to help you and your pressed for time have a pro do it and youll be glad you did. Strobes depend entirally on what you want, iam no expert on them look at some websites, hideaways are good. Also you can get a back rack which IMO add to appearance and mount your two back up lights on that and strob on top when plowing, thats what i did. Good Luck sounds like a great truck and plow.

6. james731

james731 Member
    from ny

strobe lights

as to mounting the plow i dropped my truck off in the am and picked it up at the end of the day i dunno what they charged me

with strobe lights

you can put strobe lights in any truck. i hear you guys saying in the tail lights. if your going with only 2 lights in the back try the reverse lights its alot brighter and white travels farther then red

if your going all around i suggest getting 2 seperate power packs this way you can set the truck up where the front and back are on a seperate switch. i know on my packs i have 6 packs with 4x2 switching so i can turn on some lights without othere but i dont use that i have two 6 packs.

your not going to want the front on all the time unless you like headaches and seizures : )

as to powering them they have 2,4,6,8,10 packs i believe they might have more but its a waste. ideally you want 15 watts per bulb as a minnimum so a 6 pack you want 90 watts or more. i put 22.5 watts to all my bulbs so their nice and bright. you cant go much brighter the most power a pack will give 1 bulb is somewhere around 30 watts but take it from me 22.5 watts and 30 watts when the bulb fires your blinded either way

i can go all night with the lights but ill stop with just the basics so you have ideas when you look to buy them. if anyone has any questions ask away. ive done my share of installing lights

7. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

JOHN......I can assume the plow is new also correct?
    I always have the selling plow dealer do the 1st. install on a new plow .
    That way if anything is wrong or messed up the plow dealer WILL take
    care of it at no charge.
    Also good for any warranty problems...........
    That way you don't have to hear that "YOU messed it up when you installed
    it yourself BS".................Depends on the dealer. Some are good, some suck!

The second or third time around I just swap them myself..................geo :drinkup:

8. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

thanks you guys are great!!!! I bought the plow and all hardware 100% new. The plow is together in the driveway and the install of everything is my concern. It does look like professional for the first time is the way to go. I keep thinking "I am anal, do things the right way, but what happens when it does not work". I have done everything mechanical on trucks etc but man I would have no idea where to look if the plow ram does not work!!!

So thank you, you guys are great!

james, I appreciate all the lighting help. You did what I want to do. If I understand correctly these kits they have for sale, like on e-bay etc, are only all lights on or all lights off? I am looking at some that are 90 watts and they have a few cycle choices but do not say if you can turn on just the rear ones etc....

I would like to run a total of just 4 bulbs. The 2 back ones will be in the reverse lights and the front ones in the parking lights. Under the bumber, in the rear, I will hang flood lights for some extra light when backing up.....

Thanks everyone!

9. james731

james731 Member
    from ny

lights

if you look on e-bay the best manufacturer to buy from is whelen imo

if you only want 4 lights get the csp 690 some say csp 690 ccc its the same thing... they have the whole kit there but make sure it comes with bulbs and cables some kits have 4 bulbs and cables some have 6... a good price for a kit with 4 bulbs and cables is 220 if you put csp690 in the e-bay search now theres 2 brand new packs for 199

that specific pack has 4x2 switching so if you hook up 4 bulbs you will be able to shut 2 off at a time

10. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

Whelen Is The Way To Go

For strobes stick with whelen. I have a sho-me pack with amber bulbs and it is hit or miss on when it works. After replacing the strobe pack twice, the installer moved where it was mounted saying that the moisture and heat/cold cycle was screwing it up. To this day, it works well on clear dry days but cuts out as soon as the first flake hits the ground. The last set I had was the whelen unit mentioned above and it never gave any problem. Same installer, installed in same location. Just my opinion.

11. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Why have a "pro" do it? Its not like its gonna snow any time soon. Its really simple once you do it for the first time. Just read the directions and take your time, have a few beers while your doing it. I'm very anal about my stuff and there's no way I'd let some dude in my truck covered in oil and what ever else probably with a cigarette shoved in his mouth. I also look at it this way, you'll have a better understanding of how it works in case you have problems later. I wouldn't worry about if I screw it up the dealer won't fix it. My western dealer fixed my v plow just cuz I switched two wires and was no big deal. In the end you'll have a better understanding of how it works, a weekend project, and $$ in your pocket.

12. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

lights

go with amber any other color is against the law

13. MN_BR

MN_BR Member

I noticed this thread orginated on 9-13-2004, JohnnyV - what did you end up with for lights and how did your winter of plowing go? Maybe post a pic or 2 if you have them!

14. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

big joe
    do you use the toy store next to Barry's??or maybe accessory world..on the Blvd. How much did they get for Whelan's installed. I'm thinking about a set of 4 hidden because you know how these SINY drivers are..We need to light up as much as possible...Thanks for the tip..
    Jack

15. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

Sorry Jax

Sorry Jax for no response but I never "subscribed" to the thread.

reply and I'll give you more info on the good, the bad and the ugly of the strobes.