1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Guy New Plow Lots of Help Here

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bucksnort, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Bucksnort

Bucksnort Junior Member

Greetings to all.Been observing quite awhile.Been plowing close to 25 years,mostly with clunkers and hybrids.Retired my 79 Cherokee due to it turning into a pile of rust.Only so many band aids you can use.Have an'02 Silverado HD CC/SB 8.1 Al.that,thanks to many hours on this site and Chucks/FAQ site,have just ordered a new 8.6 Fisher Vee.Want to run my plans by you guys and see what you think.
    8.6 Fisher Vee
    Cooper snows on extra set steel wheels-265/16 E
    U edge-I'll have to look up Dinos' number
    est.800#ballast in bed
    Timbrens
    Crank torsion bars couple of turns-realign
    Roof light-still undecided about strobe or revolve.
    Any comments,suggestions welcome.Yeah,I know its a long truck and the Jeep had me spoiled on turning radius but I paid big bucks for a hard working truck so I might just as well do it than buy another truck just to plow.
    Great site with lots of good posters.

2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to Plowsite! :waving:

It looks like you did your homework very well. Just a couple suggestions:

- Torsion bars. I would crank up more than just a couple turns. I would give it 5 or 6 full turns. That should be around right. And as you planned, get the front end realigned.

- As for roof lights ... it is everyone's preference. Some like rotating beacon, some like strobes. There even is some LEDs roof light that recently became available, but pricy. The LED would be the most effective light choice because it is the best at cutting through heavy snow. But I find it hard to believe to afford it and having the chance of it breaking if something unexpectly hit it. :eek:

For me, I like both rotating beacon and strobes. The rotating beacon probably is better at cutting through heavy snow than strobes, BUT strobes can get the people attention more easily. Also, rotating beacon draws more current than strobes do, so it would mean that strobes is easier on truck electrical system.

Do a search. Hit that search button on the top right corner of the screen and type in whatever info. you are looking for. There should be several threads that has been covered about roof lights. Hope that this will help you. :)

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite. :waving:

Sounds like your on the right track so far.I'd go with a strobe lamp.Cheap,easy,and very low current draw.Long lasting bulbs too.

You'll love the Cooper snows.MAke sure if your going to run the 800 lbs of ballst that it is properly secured,otherwise it will end up where you don't want it.

4. Bucksnort

Bucksnort Junior Member

Thanks for responses.I did search for the roof lites but need a lite that is not over 5 inches tall so I can fit the truck in the garage.Know of any low profile setups?
    Making up my homemade ballast box from a plastic beer pallet with sides and top secured with planks to stay put.800#enough?No problem getting more in the box.
    Thanks guys.

5. Plow Dak

Plow Dak Member
    from Maine

Bucksnort

I have a strobe thats 3 1/2 inches tall. Works great.

P.M. me and i'll give you part numbers etc if your interested.
    welcome to plow site.

Mike

6. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Bucksnort, welcome. Some more advice,wear down the factory trip-edge 2'-3 before you bolt on the u edge or a steel edge. The plow will scrape much better if you do this.Other than that have fun with your new toy.

7. Bucksnort

Bucksnort Junior Member

Thanks Mike.I sent you a P.M.
    Hey Scott,thanks for the advice.The guy I am getting the plow from recommended the same exact thing.He said to put a few storms under its belt before putting on the cutting edge.It will be nice to plow with new equipment instead of the cobbed together stuff I have been using for years.Looking forward to the first snow.