1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new guy needs help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Lee Vitalone, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Lee Vitalone

Lee Vitalone Member

Hey guys, cool site!
    I just bought a used Boss straight plow that needs help. One ram is shot, and I'll change it out-but need advice. It's the left side angle ram. I understand the basic's, but any tips will be very helpful. It needs new bolts, the owner put it on with pins. I need to know how to bleed it after and about the bolts.
    Thanks!

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Pins are fine. Fill, angle, fill, angle, fill angle, left, right, up, dwn, repeat. Reck the level add as needed

3. Lee Vitalone

Lee Vitalone Member

And, do you leave the reservoir open or closed when bleeding? The previous owner used transmission oil in it- will that cause any issues? I understand it's like hydraulic fluid ?
    And, I read where it's best to bleed it manually by pushing the blade when the pump is off?

4. dieselss

Well, I would go with plow fluid. It's a tad salty but worth it. Up to you, but imo it's worth it.
    Always leave the cap on while bleeding the system, forget once and you'll be cleaning a lot of fluid
    Show the book that said to bleed it like that.
    Barely raise it off the ground and angle side to side using the hydraulics as normal. Again keep doing this a few times.
    Actually you couldn't angle the plow by hand...unless you have the clicker on and in the angle position, and the motor unplugged. Or by leaving the lines loose. But then you would get air back in the system so that would be out

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  5. Lee Vitalone

Lee Vitalone Member

Thanks! I am not used to hydraulics yet-but I thought it was pretty simple-like a guys manhood-all fluid under pressure. :laughing:

6. dieselss

Hydraulics are fairly simple but can be dangerous. You loosen a line under pressure, and bang, it can blow out on you.

7. TerraScraper

TerraScraper Member

Just hook the ram back up and angle the blade left and right until its smooth, lower blade, make sure the lifting ram is all the way collapsed and fill the reservoir up. Never fill it with the ram raised or you'll over fill it and it might look like a smurf massacre once lowered!!

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Boss does a great job making manuals, parts poster, etc.... along with videos of servicing plowing and installing accessory's available on line, http://www.bossplow.com/support. The other manufactures also offer similar support too.

The beauty of going to the manufactures site is it doesn't matter what time or what day of the week it, it's always there to be used. Being resourceful and self sufficient are key ingredients in being successful in any business.

9. Lee Vitalone

Lee Vitalone Member

Thanks!

I bookmarked that last link to the Boss site, that will be a great source. It sucks when you have to start shelling out for repairs that you can do your self.
    It's just the little "secrets" these guys use that need be shared!
    Grateful Vet!:salute: