1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New guy needs help with handheld controller

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by ironhead, Dec 21, 2006.

1. ironhead

ironhead Junior Member

Hi Everyone
    I just bought a used handheld controller for my plow. Its a rt3 straight blade that i had installed on my 98 chevy when i bought it.On the handheld there is a toggle switch zip tied to it that has two male electric connectors on the other end of it.. It says truck on the top of it and plow on the bottom of it. Can anyone tell me what its for and what it plugs into. I'm adding a picture so you can see it. Thanks for any help. Gary

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome aboard ironhead! The switch is for turning on the plow light's. It allows you to switch from your truck headlights to your plow headlight's when running with the plow on.
  3. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I would take it off the controller and double side tape it to under your steering column.
  4. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

If you have the plow already installed on the truck then you should already have this switch somewhere.
  5. ironhead

ironhead Junior Member

Thanks guys. I do have a toggle switch in the truck but it has six wires plugged into the back of it that come off of the plow harness. Is there anyway i could use the one i got with the controller? It looks better than the toggle i have now.
  6. 353628

353628 Junior Member

Sounds to me that the toggle switch with the six wires is actually switching the lights, the switch that came with your controller is made to pull in the contactor that swithes the lights. The switch that came with the conroller is only a single poll switch.

If it works now I would probaly leave it as is.

BOSS' old style (11 pin) harness used the 6 wire switch. The one attached to your controller in the photo is the new style which is not compatible with your harness. You won't be able to use it without replacing the entire vehicle side harness.

Adam Caron
    Wright Trailers
    Seekonk, Ma
  8. ironhead

ironhead Junior Member

Leave well enough alone

I just installed a complete new harness on the truck and plow side due to the main plugs being rusted pretty bad. I guess i'll leave well enough alone. Thanks for all of the input guys.