1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Guy needs help Western Uni mount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by FordF350Diesel, Nov 21, 2009.

1. FordF350Diesel

FordF350Diesel Junior Member
    from Ill

i worked with my buddy last year and am going into it myself this year and while working last year one nite it wouldnt go up or left or right kinda tryed to go right but barley. drove bck to the shop and it went up but slow. So when spring came i started messing with it and the lift ram you can grab it and push down and pull up so figured fluid level nope it was fine so today i put a motor and packing set and new filter on and still slow going up left and right are good put up isnt to my liking. what should i do??

Thanks Chris

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Several things will slow the lift even with the parts you already changed.

1) Packings installed dry
    2) Packing nut too tight
    3) Generic motors (if you used one) are many times weaker.
    4) Poor connections on the power and ground cables (includes solenoid).
    5) Weak battery

3. FordF350Diesel

from Ill

whem u put a packing set in whats the proper way to do it? and how do u adjust the nut?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Oil the individual seal components up and install one at a time in the correct order. As I install each one I use a large piece of pipe (homemade but handy tool) to work each packing down into place. No correctly sized pipe? Use a blunt screwdriver but be gentle with it. After they're all in lube the packing nut threads and spin the nut on. Tighten the nut until it begins to compress the packings and give it 1/4 additional turn. If you over tighten it it will create excessive drag on the ram.

5. FordF350Diesel

from Ill

ok sounds good. thanks any idea how to bleed the air out of the system?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It'll basically bleed itself with use but if you search around here you'll find plenty of posts with specific bleeding methods in them.