1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New guy needs help bidding lot!!!!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by BigT, Jan 30, 2008.

1. BigT

BigT Junior Member
    from stl

I am new to bidding and need some input on bidding this lot. We havnt gotten much snow here at all, (1 storm this year, and another on the way) so I am going to be pricing by the storm. I am also going to be doing the sidewalks and salting. I dont have a spreader, and this is the only lot I will be doing that requires salt, so I am just going to used a push spreader.

Here is a link to the overhead view of the lot.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&om=0&ll=38.72597,-90.72381&spn=0.001157,0.002245&z=19

What would be a fair price to charge? I was thinking $200 to plow and $75 to salt. Is that too high?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  2. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Would that be $200 to plow and shovel? I think your salting is to low.

3. Indy

Indy Senior Member

is that a loading dock with a concrete wall around it??

4. Indy

Indy Senior Member

it also looks a little strange that all the parking is on the outside edge or the lot with a large unmarked area in the center??

Where are you staking your snow???

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

The only sidewalks I see are up against the buildling on the north (top) side, is that right?

What about that little area to the right (looks like in the fence)

Ignoring the area to the right and figuring the only sidewalks are in front of the building:

That's about a 25 minute job. 25 to plow it, and your shovel guy will be done before you.

I don't know on salt, we don't salt out here.

I'd probably charge $100 to $125 to do it (Plus you would have to add salt in)

6. BigT

BigT Junior Member
    from stl

Yes, the only sidewalks are up ahainst the building.

The fenced in area in the rear of the building is gravel and is not getting plowed.

I am not sure on where I am going to stack the snow, any sugestions?

How much should I charge to salt?

Also, roughly how much salt will I need?

7. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

A little hard to tell exactly how big the lot is, but i think your prices are in line from what I can tell. I know I would not want to push salt that whole thing.

8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

You drive in, work the edge along the right (the building), shove it all the way to the end (right)
    do that 2 or 3 times
    back drag the little parking spots you can't see (I count 4)
    shove it all right and up angling your blade
    push the whole lot that way
    turn around and do the little point to the left with those 4 spots
    done
    20-25 minutes
    max

9. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

Ditto on the pushing suggestions of LoneCowboy. I would charge $175.00 for lot and walks and $100.00 for salting lot and calcium on the walks.

Good Luck,
    James

10. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

Ditto on the pushing suggestions of LoneCowboy. I would charge $175.00 for lot and walks and $100.00 for salting lot and calcium on the walks.

Good Luck,
    James

11. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

I am new to the industry but we have a number of commercial lots that seem to be similar in size. I think $175 per push is a more then fair price based on a 2 inch trigger. Salt wise I wouldnt go any less then $100 per application either. Out of curiosity, wouldnt it be worth your while to buy at least a small tailgate spreader to assist you on this property. This property alone would probably more then pay for it and then you have an additional service to offer to other clients.

JMO

12. BigT

BigT Junior Member
    from stl

Thanks for the input guys. Last question, how much salt do I need?

13. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Without knowing the exact size my best guess would be 3/4 - 1 metric ton for preventative and mild snow treatments and up to 1.5-2 metric tons for de icing. Thats my guess.

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Just out of curiousity how many sq/ft do you think that lot is?

15. BigT

BigT Junior Member
    from stl

2000 sq ft roughly

16. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I'd say $150. to plow and shovel. $100. per salting 500 to 750 lbs. depending on conditions and how well they want it cleared.

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I think you mean 20,000 or am I wrong.

18. SNOWANDICEMAN

SNOWANDICEMAN Senior Member

I hope you have all the proper insurance, to cover you.payup