1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Guy Needs Advice/Work

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by carpenter0090, Dec 7, 2010.

1. carpenter0090

carpenter0090 Junior Member

Hi, I have been considering the purchase of a new or used plow. I am a home improvement contractor in Suffolk co NY. Work get slow in the winter so I'm looking to generate some extra money in the winter. So the plow I have been looking at would be a Boss 8' super duty. I have a 06 dodge ram 2500 quad cab diesel 4x4. Does any one have any thoughts on A this type of set up and B where to locate some work. ussmileyflag

2. b&b landscapes

b&b landscapes Member

good luck in your venture..... do your research on plows thru manufacturers before deciding..... i have a meyer and love it, if your slightly mechanically inclined they are easy to work on..... and most inportant to you and any newbie in the plowing industry DONT BE A LOWBALLER..... problem with new people coming in is they lowball everyone else and drive the market price for snow removal down because all they want is quick easy money..... this profession is not for someone who cant afford to pretty much carry themselve thru a winter to begin with.... damage is always a given and repairs are costly.... start with residential and if that works for you then let word of mouth spread (AND IT WILL) but dont go out trying to beat another company out because it only costs you in the long run....

please take this advice and be fruitful

3. carpenter0090

Thanks for the response. Im not expecting to make the money I invest in the plow the first year. I figured it would take at least two years to pay for the plow. Especially on long island island. We probably get an average of 6 plowable snow storms a year. Do you live on long island? How would I know what market value is? The reason I was looking at the boss plow is for two reasons. One its 120 pounds lighter than the myer. And two I have located a used one with very little use that im hopping to get the plow and installed for around 3500. Beats the 5400 for a new one.

4. b&b landscapes

b&b landscapes Member

no i live in cincinnati, ohio ( or just north of) and we only get maybe 3 plowable storms on average.... around here it takes like 4 fours years in plowing to start seeing results of profits because the weather here is more icey and damaging to plows

# of inches plowed vs. how much$ in repairs, insurance, comm tags, fuel, labor, winter maintenance, etc

last year our company plowed for the first time being real busy (being subbed out) and the company lost by twice the costs of the money spent in plowing...

so make dang sure you got all of your bases covered...... because all it takes is one major breakdown or massive storm to ruin your truck, plow, money or all three... steady and firm on the price you charge and get a good rep and take your time to learn all of the ins and outs of plowing

its ALOT harder on you and your wallet than it appears by far

5. carpenter0090

Wow. How did you lose so much? Where you hiring guys to do the work for you? For now It'll be just be me and my cusin. Ill be the only one driving and wont beat the epuipment. My plan is to have him spot the drive way, shovel or snow blow the walkways while I plow. I own a contracting co so my truck is tagged commercial and I have a general liability policy. I will have to see what it takes to add plowing to it. Im not sure what going rate is aaround here to be honest. I was thinking 50 or 60 bucks a drive way. If we can do two an hour we are doing 100- 120 an hour. I know that alot of the guys out here sub. I think going rate for them is 60 to 70 an hour. What do you think?

6. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

6 plowable events is a great winter on Long island. Keep in mind most residentials won't want it plowed until they reach at least 3 or 4 inches. That will limit the plowable events.
    Check with your agent, I recently had to switch liability co. since many will not cover snow plowing. Subbing is an option. Try to get 70 plus/hr. That will barely cover your expenses if we only have a 2 or 3 event season this year.

7. carpenter0090

Yeah your right. 6 is alot. Are you on long island shore?

8. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

Pm me i can hook you up with some guys and other info

9. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

6 is average for long island

10. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

Where on Long Island are you located Im by exit 58 of thr LIE Islandia

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

honestly....save your money and just stay home
    the wear and tear not to mention the stress is NOT worth it for 6 plows a year

12. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

Yeah I'm in Manorville. Be sure of good dealer support for the boss plow. Not sure who is servicing them around here. My friend has a Boss V. It works great. He says the dealer in Smithtown is gone. He has had trouble getting it serviced. But he is in East Quogue..

13. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

Its worth it as long as you do it right maybe you wont get rich but you'll make money

14. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

I believe there is a dealer here in Islandia off suffolk ave called RBR

15. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

I was at RBR the other day. I saw a ton of Hiniker. No Boss. But they will fix any and all plows. They have parts for most. Open 24hrs during storms

16. carpenter0090

Im in smithtown. Ex 55. Hydro where do you live? It looks as if your running a large operation. Some times big things mean big stress. Where are the sucess storys?

17. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

good place for salt and sand during a storm

18. carpenter0090

Im still trying to figure out how to pm

19. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

Its rough in the beginning but if you keep at it and dont take on more then you can handle and give good service you can do pretty good, Its all about customer service, and doing a good clean job

20. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

I think you dont have enough post yet to pm