1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New guy need help setting up plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by pbjunkie92, Nov 30, 2014.

1. pbjunkie92

pbjunkie92 Member

Hey guys, im new to the snow removal world, and im sorry if this has been asked, but i couldnt find it.

I just aquired a unimount for free for my 1997 F250 SD. I'm in the process of installing the mount, but am confused where to go from here. My main question is, is the vehicle wiring specific to the blade I put on? Should I purchase a plow assembly before wiring? Or is it pretty much standard between blades (except MVP series)

also on quickmatch how to I differentiate between UNI and ULTRA? Also what are 3 port, 4 port, and relay?

Thanks, again sorry if it's been asked.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  2. Cobrasmitty

Cobrasmitty Junior Member
    from Iowa

A unimount mounts to the truck with removeable pins and the ultra has a hook on the blade side that captures the mount on the truck. Your wiring would be specific to your blade. Having the bracket for free is a big plus as this will open you up to any unimount regardless of truck mount that comes with it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  3. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

Unimount plows were all relay wiring, but some have been converted to iso to go on newer trucks. You would not need iso wiring for your '97. I wouldn't put any wiring on until you find a plow. Hopefully it will come with some wiring that you can use, or use part of.
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

There are several different plug in options for the uni plows. Original equipment would be two plugs at the grill but there are 7, 9 and 11 pin setups. As said above it may be upgraded to the isolation module. Both three and four port modules work the same way and will be compatible with any upgraded iso module plow. But I agree with the statement to get your plow before wiring. No seance buying and installing harnesses when you may have to rip them out and rewire.
  5. pbjunkie92

pbjunkie92 Member

Thanks for the help guys. I was 99% sure that was the way to go but i wanted to double check
  6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

1997 was a transition year for ford trucks. a 1997 f250 could be had in a light duty (new body style) version, or a heavy duty (old body style) version. the truck side plow mounts are different between the two. you say you have a "SD" - i assume that means superduty? the superduty name was used until after 1997, so maybe you mean the HD version? anyway, just wanted to mention you need to be careful with the mount you get for your 1997 F250. know exactly which F250 you have.