1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Guy MM 2 Needs help

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by AUB1, Dec 9, 2008.

1. AUB1

AUB1 Member

I have been plowing with my new to me '04 MM2 7.5 on my '95 GMC half ton. I have an old, old speedcast on an old old Suburban to get me in and out of my home in the woods but thought I'd try to make a few bucks, thus the MM2. I have plowed for a couple full days, thats all and I don't know the history on the mm2. Yesterday after 3 driveways the plow slowed down to a crawl...it wouldn't go up, or either side. It would drop just fine but I couldn't get it to raise. Finally after playing with the stick it just jumped into action and was fine for another couple of driveways then it happened again. This time it took 45 minutes of fooling with the fishstick..it finally went back up. I drove the truck home and missed out on a lot of cash. It did it again in my driveway so I left it until I get some sleep. When this happens the plow motor wines really bad. I don't like to do it but I have no options when it's snowing like crazy...you know.
    I don't know when the fluids and filter have been changed but honestly it doesn't really sound like that. The fluid level is full by the way. I'm no mechanic but it sounds sort a like when I used to burn out clutches in cars...then it just kicks in and away you go, but it's happening with more frequency.
    Thanks for the help in advance....I am not a rich Man if you catch my drift....I hope it's a cheap fix but it is what it is. Thanks again

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

How cold is it where you liive? kinda sounds like you may a bad ground or your fluid is freezing becuase of water in fluid. The ice gets caught up in the screen and causes plow to stop and whine. Open the top where you add fluid and drop a dip stick of some kind and look at condition of fluid.

3. AUB1

AUB1 Member

Thanks Big Dave. If you notice, I just posted another thread saying I think I figured out that it might be just what you said, water in the fluid because it WAS quite cold here when it was screwing up. Last night the temp shot up and the plow's working fine now. I bought a new filter and new fluid and am going to replace it tomorrow. I've never done it before and reading another thread, someone with a similiar problem said he's going to change the SEHP also. First of all what is that, and any advise on the undertaking I'm about to take on? I'm not much of a mechanis but I do my own oil changes, etc. One more thing, The Guy at the parts store was kinda green like me. Is the filter supossed to be oval?
    Thanks

4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I have never done it. But I have been told the MM2 are simple. I think they split in the middle pump one side and tank on other. I am sure if you search this site someone must have posted how to do it.

5. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor