1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New guy looking for help

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by killercom, Oct 28, 2014.

1. killercom

killercom Junior Member

Measured out the lot and it came in a 35,500 square feet, plus 810 square feet of shoveling. All areas want salt. It's a commercial but they arent open 24 hours. They want a per month estimate. Snow or no snow they pay one price each month. Plowing with a diesel pickup with an xtreme v 8.5'. What do you charge per month to be safe? 10 pushes? What's the going rate per square foot in eastern New York for Salt and plowing, that info right there will help me out a ton!

2. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

Where in the hudson valley are you located?

3. killercom

killercom Junior Member

Dutchess County

4. dodgegmc1213

Im from wappingers. Nice to see a local guy here

5. killercom

killercom Junior Member

I'm in wappingers as well haha, small world

6. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Ten pushes per month??? Are you serious? And what does plowing with a diesel have to do with the equation???

7. killercom

killercom Junior Member

I'm asking for advice not questioning on my post, move on if you're not here to help

8. JustJeff

Sounds to me like you're clueless and shouldn't even bother bidding. If you don't even know what your annual snowfall average is in your area, and average number of events per season you're ill-equipped to handle the job. You ask for help, but don't post a pic of the site, state if it's an easy job, or difficult one, and want other people to bid your lot for you.

9. killercom

killercom Junior Member

Well put it this way Mr. HarleyJeff, I've seen peoples questions get answered with less facts. You started somewhere I assume? Unless of course youre god's gift and were just born with the abilty of knowing everything about this business right out of the womb. My learning is coming from the new age of computer technology (this forum). So again, if you have no positive input on my post, troll someone elses thread. Thanks

10. JustJeff

Okay. So you're relatively new to this? If that's the case, state that in your question and people (myself included) will be a lot more tolerant/patient. Go to Google Earth or another program where you can copy and paste a picture of the lot on here. It will make it a lot easier for people to help you. Also, get on the internet and find out how many events your area normally brings per season. That will help you get your number for a bid on monthly payments. Will you wait until the snow stops flying to plow, or will you do it in 2" (or whatever other increments you/the customer want)? How much does salt cost in your area? Are you buying bulk or bagged? Are you shoveling or snowblowing? Will you be doing it all by yourself, or have someone help you? This affects your overhead/bidding. And while you may have seen people get answers with less information, those answers are usually all over the place. The more facts you give, the easier it is to give you accurate, helpful information.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  11. killercom

killercom Junior Member

Yes, I am new to commercial plowing, pricing the larger lots cheap can hurt you. They want the snow done in 2-3" increments. Salt in my area is apparently going for $120/ton from what I'm reading. Walks will be shoveled by another person while I'm doing the lot. Not too sure where to find how many snow events average around here. Attached is the lot. The red is what needs to be shoveled, the blue is what needs to be plowed

alto lot.jpg

12. dodgegmc1213

hey i dont know if you follow hudson valley weather but they just posted the winter outlook. Said the past 20 years poughkeepsie averaged 44 inches. Last year we got 60.5. They think this year would be 55 - 65 inches. Noah weather thinks its going to be a warmer winter (i hope). I dont know what the rate is per sq ft. I know the going rate an hr is $100 - $120. Northside supply (gleason) i believe is around $150 - $175 a yard give or take for salt treated with ice bite. Hope this helps

13. killercom

killercom Junior Member

Buddy of mine with a large scale business told me to bid around $9k for the season, october and april extra and snow removal extra. Thoughts? Opinions?

14. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What? Snow removal extra?

15. killercom

killercom Junior Member

Like getting a loader or bobcat in there to haul snow away if we recieve an excessive amount

16. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok makes more sense now

17. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

.12 x sq ft. per storm
    10% up front w' a signature
    divide the balance into 4 months . w/ a non payment termination clause ; be firm , dont want to see you in the ferrandino thread next year bellyaching
    you want to make it , not give it away , right?

18. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

is "your buddys " overhead " the same as yours ? are you both in the same tax brackets ? same amount of bills ? catch my drift ?
    bid what makes you comfy and profitable , not what ur budd says .

19. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

are you sure they dont want the roof cleared too?

20. killercom

killercom Junior Member

No, his a bit higher, but he said he did the estimate to my standards. I'm comfy with that bid but I want to make sure I get it and not overbid