1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New guy looking for advice on Fisher LD

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by countrydoc, Apr 11, 2007.

1. countrydoc

countrydoc Member

I am pretty new to this site, but have already learned a bunch.

I am looking at getting a used Fisher LD for my 97 Toyota Tacoma. I found a small business in Auburn, Maine, that buys and resells used Fisher plows. He has an LD for sale, $1500. Not sure about installation costs.

My question is: what do I look for when inspecting the plow to see if it is in decent working order? What are typical weak points or things that need replacing to make it as reliable as possible? Any other tips on buying a used Fisher LD would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. STS315

STS315 Junior Member

The first question you should ask is if you should or can put that size plow on that truck. I just looked it up and all of my info says that you can only put a Homesteader plow on that truck. The LD plow weighs about 200lbs. more than the Homesteader. To be sure you should go to the Fisher website and do the "ematch". Enter your vehicle info into "ematch" and see what comes up. Since Fisher does not recomend the installation of the LD on that truck, chances are that you won't be able to find all of the parts you will need for installation. Homesteader parts are much different than the LD parts. Good luck.

3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

That plow is fine on the Tacoma.

Fisher had the LD for Tacomas and made mounts for it for years. Only when they brought out the Homesteader did they stop making mounts for LDs to Tacoma, S-10s etc. A mistake IMO.

I have an LD on a Tacoma as well as the same style conventional on an older Toyota and they plow GREAT.

The mounts can still be found if he does not have them.

As to the ORIGINAL question. If he is a reseller he probably goes over the plows pretty well and offers some sort of personal gurantee.

No matter what though when buying a used plow, look at EVERY weld on the plow. A different looking weld probably means it was done in service not at the factory. This is not necessaraly bad, but just examine everything for cracks etc. Look at the cutting edge, all the pins, the cylinders etc, Any odd bends could mean abuse not just use.

All the eclectrical connections should be clean and operational. Hopfeully you can hook power to the pump and atleast verify it works. Fluid should be clean not milky (means water in system)

Paint can be tricky. It could be repainted for that price or the original paint MAY be ok.

Anything out of the ordinary and you should factor the cost into getting the plow working.

$1500 is a good rpice for a good condition used Fisher. The SEHP pump alone is usually worth $750 or more.

Let us know what you find out.

4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

One thing you'll find about Fisher is that they are very conservative on the size plows they recommend for trucks. The LD is perfect for size for your truck, especially since you're not going to void any warranties for going heavier than what Fisher recommends. 200 pounds is the weight of a passenger, and it will be compensated for by using some additional ballast.

Fisher has replaceable cutting edges, 6" bolt on edges that save your lower trip edge. These will obviously wear and can be replaced for a reasonable amount. Hoses are bound to crack & fail eventually, so looking at those & making provisions for replacement either now or somewhere down the line is a good thing too. Otherwise, Fishers are solid units & should have no trouble. Look at the pivot points for the A-frame, the pistons, the welds at all connector points to make sure that pins, bolts, and welds are still in good shape. Some guys (a few on Plowsite) will sandblast older plows & repaint them to almost new condition, replacing pump units & lights. It's not always necessary for function, but they sure look good!

I know you've been looking at other plow manufacturers. I'm very partial to Fisher, as I've had a few of them and grew up with my grandfather using them for 25 years before I got in the biz. While I've had the chance to consider other products, Fisher has never given me a reason to doubt their quality & dependability. I can't see you being disappointed if this is the way you go. You likely would not have trouble with others, but I definitely endorse Fisher for you. Good luck again!

~Kevin

5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

The fisher 6.8' LD is the best plow for any mini truck. Mine came off a Tacoma and its currently mounted to a ford ranger. It soon to be put back on a tacoma. Most of the LD plows came with a poly cutting edge. Some have a steel cutting edge.

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I hada 7'6" LD and loved it. No problems whatsoever. It is a great plow.

7. countrydoc

countrydoc Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will go for the Fisher LD. Snow is not our problem any longer (for the moment). With this last storm the runoff washed out half my gravel driveway...but this gives me an excuse to have it paved this summer, then that Fisher on my Tacoma will make quick work of clearing the snow next winter. I'll post some pics when I get the plow installed later this spring.

8. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Plowing a paved surface is SO much easier on the equipment. You'll find the plow glides over pavement much better, and you're not going to catch the trip edge on rocks or uneven grade surfaces. Glad to see another win for Fisher! Good luck, and happy spring!

~Kevin

9. bdavis

bdavis Member

My $.02

I know the guy Mike in Maine....I do the same thing he does (buying used plows) and deal with him quite regularly....He knows his stuff inside and out and I highly recommend him...

10. bdhunter

bdhunter Senior Member

Can you get me some contact info on Mike. I need to talk to him about setting up a yard truck.

11. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

unless the plow looks like new (or so close you can barely tell) i would look for a better price. im not saying it will be easy but they make fisher plows here in maine where we are. fisher plows are everywhere around here. used fisher plows are everywhere. i just ran acrossed someone selling a one year old 7.5 fisher for a grand last week. with or without the truck. your choice. (plows great. trucks junk).
    not saying your getting a bad price. just saying im thinking you can get a even better price.
    (dont know much about plowing. money ive always been keen on though)