1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Guy Introduction

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by EHFSnowRemoval, Oct 4, 2013.

1. EHFSnowRemoval

EHFSnowRemoval Junior Member

Hi all,

Wanted to introduce myself and officially start EHF Materials Salvage and Snow Removal!

Well I have been seriously considering starting my own business and with the recent government shutdown (I work for the Department of Defense) I realize that I can't rely on my job to feed the kids and pay the bills! I would rather lose money because of my own fault than the damn politicians in Washington! So utilizing my wife's business degree we are starting the business we have been talking about for a few years now. Materials Salvage and Snow Removal. In the warmer months we will salvage reclaimed lumber and architectural elements of old buildings and resale. In the winter months I will plow (residential right now) in between building furniture to sale from the lumber I salvage.

Anyway, I have a 2008 Toyota Tundra as our company truck. I just purchased a 2 year Snoway 26 series for 2,000 from a couple who only used it to plow their drive up in the mountains. Practically brand new. I have a friend who has a business outfitting emergency vehicles who is going to do my light setup on the truck. I know there are probably many differing opinions out there, but we have to use the equipment we already, right?

We are about 40 miles east of Denver and it really seems to be an untapped market. My research doesn't show anyone out here who plows as a business. I am thinking of utilizing the snow blower I already own as part of the business as well. We are going to offer residential plowing, snow blowing, sidewalk clearing, and salting.

I am not new to running heavy equipment, as we used to run all sorts of different equipment and implements on the dairy farm I worked at back in Pennsylvania years ago. So unlike some I have actually ran a plow and skid steer before.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for a new upstart?