1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New guy in Virginia .. some ?'s

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jam583, Nov 27, 2003.

1. jam583

jam583 Junior Member

Hello .. great site you have here. I live in Linden (Western part of VA) and looking to get a plow. I'm driving a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 4.8L V8 4x4 Long Bed with the work group package which has the snow plow prep package, upgraded springs, etc.

I want an affordable snow plow setup for occasional plowing. I don't need anything big.

What would be the best application for this truck? What kind of $$ would it cost me? I think a 7 foot plow would be fine .. I don't need anything big.

Also, driving .. when the plow is hooked up can you drive with it (50MPH -- 60 or so miles one way)? Not with it down and plowing, in the up position. I figure you can, but, I am a newbie and wasn't sure and wanted to ask.

I also live off a gravel road. Can I drop the plow enough to just scrape the top without going to the ground?

How hard is it to learn how to operate one? I will probably only use it for 4 storms the entire season (we don't get a ton of snow) would this be any harm to the truck?

I commute abotu 3000 miles a month on the truck but it's maintained excellent (oil changes etc).

Hope to hear some answers. I am really looking to get an idea on what a setup would cost me. Thanks!

2. jam583

jam583 Junior Member

I will be doing a lot of driveways so I need a plow that can back drag as well .. not sure if all of 'em can or what .. I know nothing about it and hope to learn a lot.

3. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

Hi and welcome to Plowsite.

It sounds like your truck will be pretty much ready to go so you shouldn't need to make any modifications to it. Just about any decent plow will work well on your truck. You might want to go with a locally popular brand in case you need service and/or parts. With the amount of snow you get in Virginia I would think there would be pleny of dealers around.

As far as your plow you are looking in the neighborhood of $3,000 to $4,000 (installed) depending on the brand, type, and accessories you buy if you buy a new one. I priced a new Western that was going to cost me $3,600 installed and priced a new Blizzard that was going to cost $2,800 installed. I ended up buying a 2 year old used Western Poly Standard (like new) installed for $2,500. Installation usually runs around $300 to $500 so you could knock that off if you do it yourself. So if new is out of your price range look for a good used set-up. Sometimes you can get pretty lucky!!

Nearly everywhere I look I see the advised top speed is 45 MPH when driving with your plow mounted and keeping it low and angled.

I too live on a gravel road. To avoid plowing up the gravel you can either use the plow shoes installed (Very few plowers use them. They make back dragging a lot more difficult.) or just raise the blade enough to scrape over the gravel. With very little practice you will be able to plow on gravel quite easily without the shoes, which is what I do.

The newer set-ups are a lot easier to put on and take off. I wouldn't want to commute that many miles with the plow attached. Just put it on when they call for the snow.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!!

Don

4. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

ilhmt hit it right on the head but you will need a 7.5 foot plow also get a set of timbrens

5. jam583

jam583 Junior Member

Thanks for the reply .. how much do timbrens run? As far as the drive .. I need to get it into Northern VA .. It's really about 50 miles one way .. Unless I can get the plow in the back of my bed and mount when I get to the location .. but, i know it's heavy but I have ramps I use to get my motorcycle in the back.

6. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

I wouldn't think you would really need the Timbrens with the plow prep package and heavier springs unless you are really planning on doing a lot of daily transporting with the plow on. I still think you can watch the weather and just put the plow on when you expect a meaurable snowfall. Timbrens run, depending on where you buy them, anywhere from $130 to $150. Do a search for them on the internet and compare prices. They also only take around a 1/2 hour to install. To check them out further as well as download specific installation instructions for your exact truck just go to:

www.timbren.com

Since 7 1/2' plows weigh anywhere from 650 punds to 750 pounds hauling it around in your truck (even with ramps) is probably not overly practical.

Thanks easthavenplower for pointing out the 7 1/2' plow. I meant to mention that everything I priced and bought is that size.

7. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

One more thing. Bear in mind that adding 300 to 500 pounds of "ballast" in the truck bed will help a lot with traction and front end sag. I use tubes of sand (5-70 pound bags) which will also come in handy should you ever need to double it's use for traction.

8. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

still right on the head but i have the plow pacage and needed timbrens on my chevy chevy just doesnt beef em good enough they cost about 140-170dollars and their cake to put in

9. imasnowpro

imasnowpro Member

Get a new or newer blade with the quick mount for easy on-off. You don't want to be carrying the blade around for a month at a time in between snowfalls. As for gravel, make sure you wera your shoes while plowing, and adjust them high. That way you will go over the top of the gravel without pushing it into piles.