1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new guy in need of help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bmales11, Dec 19, 2010.

1. bmales11

bmales11 Junior Member

Hey guys this is my first year plowing and just looking for a few tips I have about 8 residential accounts and 2 offers as a subcontractor. What should I charge? and how should i try advertising?

2. MattR

MattR Senior Member

I am a little confused here. You do not know what to charge, yet you have landed 8 residential accounts? Are they under the assumption that you are plowing for free since you have not given them a price yet? Or did you give them a price and now you are second guessing what you are charging them?

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

kind of late in the year to get more accounts
    you may get a 1 time push in a bif storm tho

4. bmales11

bmales11 Junior Member

These have been landscaping accounts during the summer and I offered plowing this winter for the first time just curious on what to charge

5. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I use my gut feeling and stay out of lowballer's territory. How do you price your other services? Use that as a guideline

6. peterng

peterng Senior Member

In my area a truck and driver goes for $95/hr. Costs run around $55 of that.

On anything odd that isn't straightforward to bid I tell them first pass I'll run it for $1.50/minute. I'll do the first pass free, let them know how much it would of been and then they can decide.

Lots of other guidelines but that's enough so you can get paid to learn.
    Pete

7. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I charge $50 normal Snow Blow Drives Walks, Salt

8. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

What are the approximate sizes of the driveways? Materials of the driveways(concrete,ashphalt,gravel,etc.)? As for sub wages it varies from state to state...go with what your comfortable with as long as fuel, insurance, repair costs, etc. are covered. I plow commercially(residential and commercial are two very different animals) and a ENTRY LEVEL owner/operator could get anywhere from $30-40/hr. Like I say though, that varies from state to state..As for advertising, your work is your advertising.

9. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

we can help

If you want help bidding jobs, we have something that will help. Check this out.

Snow & Ice Management Bidding Package Includes:

#1 Snow & Ice Management Manual – this is a comprehensive manual covering all aspects of snow & ice management for both residential and commercial accounts. Also includes application rates for many different deicing materials.

#2 Snow & Ice Management CD full of templates for contracts, route sheets, hours of operation sheets, Who’s first, proposal formats, don’t take the risk template for clients, sample invoices, sample marketing forms and much more. All these templates are in Microsoft Word format and are completely customizable to your business.

#3 Snow & Ice Management Quick Estimator CD – calculates per push, per event, hourly or season contracts. Also calculates material application rates for both granular and liquid applications for any deicing material that you may be using. This CD also calculates time and material for application of material, and hand labor as well. This CD runs in Microsoft Excel and is not software. You simply fill in the blanks and you have your estimate.

Go to www.profitsareus.com or call us at 800-845-0499 to order. Feel free to call us with any questions you might have as well. Being a full-service lawn & landscaping business myself since 1979, I know what a contractor is looking for; something simple, accurate and professional. This package is it.