1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New guy - I need to buy a plow, which one???

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Gregor, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Gregor

Gregor Junior Member

I hope I'm posting in the right spot as I am new to the forum but want to do it right.
    I just bought a new to me but old truck 2002 GMC denali and now need to shop for a plow for it. I am not really up on whats out there because my last truck was a1995 Toyota T100 with an old western on it, I am way behind the times.
    I would appreciate any comments on the truck and or plow that anyone might have. I plow 4 driveways and two biggish parking lots.
    My plan so far it to tweak the torsion bars just a little and ad Timbrins.
    I don't know one brand plow from the other and I would like to benefit from your collective experience.
    Thanks in advance
    Greg

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

1/2 ton or 3/4?

Gas or diesel?

3. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

First off, welcome to the site. You are on here during the "off season" so you may get some fairly limited responses as a lot of members aren't on here this time of year. That being said, glad to see you are doing your research now instead of mid October, then on here complaining that you can't seem to get into any of your dealers in a timely manner for an install. Yes, believe it or not, it happens. As to your question, what most on here will probably tell you (except the brand die hards) is that it isn't so much what brand you go with, BUT the dealer support in your area for any given brand. In short, these days, most all of the big manufacturers (BOSS, Western, Meyer, Fisher) put out a quality product and what you REALLY need to be shopping for is the dealer in your area that you feel most comfortable with and gives you the best service, because at 2 A.M. when something breaks (and it will), you want your truck in their shop getting fixed, and not parked out front in line with all the other unfortunate souls waiting for your dealer to open.

Having said that, I LOVED the first Meyer I ever owned (CP-8), had very few problems with it for the 6 or so years that I owned it and therefore, when I replaced it with and new truck, I stayed with Meyer and got a Lot Pro, which promptly broke on me and was a never ending nightmare the first and only year I owned it. Believing I was cursed with the "Monday morning assembly line build", I replaced it with a 10.5' SV-2, also which has given me numerous problems. Although all has been fixed under warranty thus far, I have lost my patience with Meyer and will be looking elsewhere for my next plow.

Again, welcome to the site and good luck.

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

get western ultra mount

5. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Derek's x2. Good advice. Talk to your local dealers. If they brush you off in June they certainly won't have time in January. Look at their repair facility. Is it reasonably neat and well equipped ? Replacement parts ( cylinders edges, fittings, solenoids and valves, hoses) on the shelf ? An extra hundred or two on price won't mean much if they won't or can't take care of you when you need them.

6. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

I have a 7.6ft fisher sd plow, it weighs 478 pounds which is perfect for my 2012 Silverado 1500 front end. I also have timbrens. I don't know how big you want