1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New guy here

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Troy5061, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Troy5061

Troy5061 Member

Hi all, ive been browsing the forums here for quite a while to gain some knowledge but havent posted before now. After years of plowing my driveway and my dads with an atv, I bought a 1985 GMC S15 Jimmy 2.8L V6, 4spd manual with a 7ft Fisher speedcast plow. Ive had it all summer and it goes down the road pretty good, the previous owner took pretty good care of it but im starting to worry that the anemic 2.8 which is carbed by the way so it makes it even worse is not going to have enough power to push the snow we get from the big storms up here. Anyone on here ever plow with one of these? Everyone locally says it will do just fine but im still worried it will struggle.
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Don't let the snow build up more than 3-4" and you should be good. Keep it fully angled as much as possible so snow isn't getting built up. Basically, you could push with anything (including a lawn mower) as long as you keep the load weight down.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Plowing snow and not tearing up equipment all depends on the driver.
    Plow with the storm not after there is a foot of it on the ground.
  4. Troy5061

Troy5061 Member

Thanks for the replies and info. Im looking into putting some weight in the back, how much should I put? Im doing it mainly for traction reasons, the front end doesnt really squat very much when the blade is up, although I do have brand new studded snow tires on all 4 corners so it should do ok.
  5. nekos

nekos Senior Member

I remember when i was 16 driving around all night with a friend doing drive ways in almost that exact same set up. I would stay away from commercial lots but if your just planning on doing the drive ways thing you shouldn't have to much trouble. Like others have said. stay on top of the storm. If you try and plow a foot of snow you wont get very far but up to 6" you should be just fine.
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You should be fine with that setup. Maybe put 4 or 5 bags of tube sand in the back. All the way back. Good move with the new studded snows. As mentioned, try not to let more than 6 or so inches build up. When it's deep and you're getting pulled sideways, here's a little trick. Lift the blade up just a bit. Puts more weight on the front tires.