1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new guy here

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 1 bad bolt, Aug 10, 2008.

1. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

im in the market of getting a 04 chevy 1500 extended cab truck or a 06 ford f-150 extended cab, i will be putting a 7.5 ft plow on what ever i end up getting what is a better plow a poly plow "boss" or a steel "fisher" plow im not looking for answer of just because you may own a particular plow , just looking for up front honest answers to help make my best choice on my new set-up. i appreciate any and all info thanks
  2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

welcome to the site!

I like both the Fisher (I own) and Boss(getting ready to order) Your biggest thing on a 1/2 ton will be how havey they are
  3. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

I like both plows, you cant go wrong with either. But somthing to keep in mind look for what dealer is close to you. In-case you need parts fast!

PS. Welcome to the site!
  4. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

x2 go with who ever has better dealer support... i have a fisher dealer 15 mins away and a boss dealer 5 mins away so not a huge difference. but when i go to boss dealer they know me by name, they help you out as much as possible and always hook me up with discounts and calendars etc... also when im out plowing they are too and keep parts in their trucks and will come help you in a pinch and know there product line.. fisher dealer wasnt bad but didnt compare even though i think the two company's products were comparable, i went with boss because of dealer...
  5. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

im in the same boat as lawn pro i have both dealers 10 minutes from where i live, what are the pros and cons on a ploy plow and steel plow, i know both brands have good reps just want to make the right choice for long term
  6. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

poly is suppose to keep snow from sticking to blade as much, and some say it rolls snow better. also not as much to rust on it as steel. steel blades usually weigh less, cost less and will hold up fine as long as you clean them regularly . youll be fine with either poly or steel...
  7. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

thanks for the advice lawn pro
  8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

poly seems nice, but if steel breaks i can weld it... cant really weld poly ?

go with what ever service is better. and used plows are fairly dependable, if cost is a factor,
  9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I like steel better. I can push whatever I hit with the steel and it won't break or crack like the poly will.
    The steel can be welded if it cracks...like was said above.
  10. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

the thought of how strong the polly would hold up to mistakin impacts crossed my mind. im going to be buying a new truck buying whatever plow i choose with the truck so just trying to see the pro's and cons from the guys that actually have experience with one or another
  11. TurfKing360

TurfKing360 Member

I have run both when I was with another company. Now I'm the owner I only use the best Boss Poly plows. I like the poly better than steel thay hold up better can be less weight and don't rust as much. I run a 99 Ford F250 SD with an 8' Boss poly straight blade and I out plow my buddies with meyers and westerns.
  12. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

how durable are the poly boss plows far as things hitting them while plowing or if you were to have a accident and hit something covered in a snow bank compared to the western steel plow
  13. TurfKing360

TurfKing360 Member

I have unfortunatly hit several objects with it, once I hit a 3ft diameter bolder that another plow company had push into one of my windrows from an adjancent property the plow faired well jst a minor scratch. took some fine grit sanpaper to it never know it happened. Steel plows bend paint chips and then rust like heck.
  14. Jerrad

Jerrad Junior Member

From what I have seen The Boss would be your best bet. It attaches and comes off with ease, and they are alot lighter than a Fisher.
  15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on which two plow models your comparing.
  16. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

ya i dont think poly really has any advantage to steel they both stick it really dosent matter. but ur kind of compaing apples to oranges fisher comes with a nice chain lift boss comes with a cyl. so it all depends what u like the boss is probably gonna be quicker.
  17. TurfKing360

TurfKing360 Member

Boss plows do mount quicker, the lift cylinders don't have the chain bounce or slap when going over rough terrain. Fisher, Western and Blizzard are owned and maunfactured by the same company just labeled differently. Boss plows I have found are a lot lighter and as for poly vs steel its personal preference. I prefer poly, they stay lookin nicer longer.