1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Guy Here.

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by cooncat, Dec 9, 2007.

1. cooncat

cooncat Junior Member

Hi. I just stumbled across this forum looking for information on plows. I just sold a v6
    Dodge Raider with a Sno-Way plow. I just used it for my driveway and friends driveways.
    I just bought an 04 Chev Tahoe 1500. (3600) front axel weight. I am looking to put a new
    plow on it. I am leaning twards the Boss Sport-Duty 7.6 Poly. I may go with a Sno-Way
    again. I like the down pressure Idea for back dragging. The Boss weighs 420 lbs without
    the mount. Not sure on the comparible Sno-Way. I believe the truck has torsion bars.
    Do you guys think I need to crank em up? Do you think this SUV is up to the task with
    these light duty plows? Any advise on which plow?

Thanks in advance for any info.
  2. TEX

TEX Senior Member

for just your house and a few others you should be fine. yes you ahve torsion bars and depending on the plow you may have to put a crank or 2 on them.
  3. cooncat

cooncat Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. I think I am going to go with another Sno-Way. (model 26)
    I received a quote of $3900.00 w/remote and down pressure installed. Is that a pretty
    good price?
  4. TurbDies2500

TurbDies2500 Senior Member

That sounds pretty good for that plow and set up. I think that the SUV can handle it. I wouldnt suggest you drive around a lot with it on there because it does a job on those Tahoe shocks but other than that you should be fine. I use to have a 98 1500 Silverado and I had the fisher 7' 6" LD plow on it and it did fine. That plow weighed something like 485 or so.
  5. cooncat

cooncat Junior Member

Thanks. I'm going to attempt the installation myself. (to save another $300.00). I am
    thinking about putting on a set "timbers" (sp) to try and take some wear and tear
    off the front end. I figure with a heated garage, enough tools and beer we should be
    able to figure it out. :dizzy: Hopefully Sno-Way has good installation instructions.
    The truck requires a little balast. It has a receiver on the back for a hitch. I was thinkin
    of welding some weights onto some square stock that fits into the receiver for balast.
    Or, fill the square stock with some lead shot depending on how long it would end up
    with the right amount of weight. I don't want it to stick out too far. Although it would
    be good for punching holes in radiators for tail gaters. :)