Snow Plowing Forum banner

New guy here

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  NWanner 
#1 ·
My father just purchased himself a brand new 2011 Silverado, so I convinced him to give me his old '97 GMC to turn into a plow truck to hopefully make a little bit of money this winter. It's a 1500 Ext Cab 6' bed w/ the 305, not as ballsy as my '97 Z71 but I have confidence in it. I was able to get a package deal on a 7.5' Fisher MM straight hydraulic and full-size spreader for short money. Gonna beef up the rear with a set of Monroe Load Adjusting shocks and some add-a-leafs and a set of 3/4t springs in the front. Also after several suggestions I'm going to install the frame gussets as well.

My aim is to have about a dozen residential customers and a few small businesses. I figure that should keep me more than busy. A good friend of mine owns a local gun shop and is an active member in a local church and is going to help me find some contacts/customers. Just need to develop a contract and figure out pricing and all that. Any other advice for a newbie trying to get into the game?

#2 ·
I should also mention that mention that I'm a mechanic with the National Guard and I've worked in civillian shops as a mechanic as well so I'm fairly knowledgable in that regard (always willing to learn more though). Here are a picture of the plow and truck and the spreader. I have concerns that the spreader won't fit in the 6' bed, in which case I'll just spruce it up a little and sell it.

#3 ·
National guard? Weekend warrior!!! :laughing:
I'd recommend a back rack so you don't smash your back window. Also a warning light of some sort.
Also if you ever have leftover salt, get it out before it gets wet!!!

#4 ·
BossPlow2010;1319028 said:
National guard? Weekend warrior!!! :laughing:
I'd recommend a back rack so you don't smash your back window. Also a warning light of some sort.
Also if you ever have leftover salt, get it out before it gets wet!!!
We all can't be Monday-Friday warriors ;) , just trying to establish that I know a little bit about automotive mechanics and that I've driven big trucks before. I was already warned about the salt, going to try to run just sand anyways unless I know I can get the income from it. You really think that the spreader can move enough enough to smash the back window? Doesn't it have to be bolted in?

#5 ·
I like how your name says BOSS but bought a fisher :nono: lol I kid I kid.... but on a serious note, Thats quite a bit of spreader for a 1500 and a 6ft bed, I know u said u are going to add 3/4t leafs but still that thing loaded especially with sand, then add the plow on the front, seems like a extreme overload...why not a tailgate salter?.... but welcome I am a first year myself!! :waving:

#6 ·
M & MD Lawn;1319078 said:
I like how your name says BOSS but bought a fisher :nono: lol I kid I kid.... but on a serious note, Thats quite a bit of spreader for a 1500 and a 6ft bed, I know u said u are going to add 3/4t leafs but still that thing loaded especially with sand, then add the plow on the front, seems like a extreme overload...why not a tailgate salter?.... but welcome I am a first year myself!! :waving:
It came as a package deal, I think it sounds like too much weight too. I'll have to see how much it weighs unloaded when I get it, don't plan on running anywhere close to full anyways. If it's too much I'll just throw a coat or paint on it, fix the little bit of rot, and sell it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.