1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New guy here

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by NWanner, Oct 6, 2011.

1. NWanner

NWanner Member

My father just purchased himself a brand new 2011 Silverado, so I convinced him to give me his old '97 GMC to turn into a plow truck to hopefully make a little bit of money this winter. It's a 1500 Ext Cab 6' bed w/ the 305, not as ballsy as my '97 Z71 but I have confidence in it. I was able to get a package deal on a 7.5' Fisher MM straight hydraulic and full-size spreader for short money. Gonna beef up the rear with a set of Monroe Load Adjusting shocks and some add-a-leafs and a set of 3/4t springs in the front. Also after several suggestions I'm going to install the frame gussets as well.

My aim is to have about a dozen residential customers and a few small businesses. I figure that should keep me more than busy. A good friend of mine owns a local gun shop and is an active member in a local church and is going to help me find some contacts/customers. Just need to develop a contract and figure out pricing and all that. Any other advice for a newbie trying to get into the game?

2. NWanner

NWanner Member

I should also mention that mention that I'm a mechanic with the National Guard and I've worked in civillian shops as a mechanic as well so I'm fairly knowledgable in that regard (always willing to learn more though). Here are a picture of the plow and truck and the spreader. I have concerns that the spreader won't fit in the 6' bed, in which case I'll just spruce it up a little and sell it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

National guard? Weekend warrior!!! :laughing:
    I'd recommend a back rack so you don't smash your back window. Also a warning light of some sort.
    Also if you ever have leftover salt, get it out before it gets wet!!!

4. NWanner

NWanner Member

We all can't be Monday-Friday warriors ;) , just trying to establish that I know a little bit about automotive mechanics and that I've driven big trucks before. I was already warned about the salt, going to try to run just sand anyways unless I know I can get the income from it. You really think that the spreader can move enough enough to smash the back window? Doesn't it have to be bolted in?

5. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

I like how your name says BOSS but bought a fisher :nono: lol I kid I kid.... but on a serious note, Thats quite a bit of spreader for a 1500 and a 6ft bed, I know u said u are going to add 3/4t leafs but still that thing loaded especially with sand, then add the plow on the front, seems like a extreme overload...why not a tailgate salter?.... but welcome I am a first year myself!! :waving:

6. NWanner

NWanner Member

It came as a package deal, I think it sounds like too much weight too. I'll have to see how much it weighs unloaded when I get it, don't plan on running anywhere close to full anyways. If it's too much I'll just throw a coat or paint on it, fix the little bit of rot, and sell it.