1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new guy here

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by squeaky3, Nov 29, 2010.

1. squeaky3

squeaky3 Senior Member

well ive been on here for a lil while but i guess i will post up some pics

no i dont have a plow yet..still looking for a decent used plow to put on my truck

im still a newbie and havent done much plowing so i dont wanna dive head first and spend a couple grand on stuff that i wont use to much

but anyways heres a few pics and vids of my truck, lights and so on

truck is a 97 chevy k1500 z71 3" body lift, 36 TSL's,( prolly different ones in the snow),

edge 9000 lightbar, hideaway strobes in front, SEM3 leds under the tailgate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. squeaky3

squeaky3 Senior Member

and now some vids

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hopefully i will have a complete vid of all the lights on tomorrow

3. DrakeSabitch

DrakeSabitch Senior Member

hey nice truck you got. looks real sharp. love the tires and the fenders. check craigslist, bet you could find a real decent minute mount to put on the front of that thing. love the blue paint with everything else black as well.

4. squeaky3

squeaky3 Senior Member

thanks

i love the teal and black combo

ive been looking on craigslist but anything local they want WAY more than what its worth and most dont even come with everything and they still want over 2-3k...i would buy a whole new setup for that much...so im just gonna keep looking and hope i can find something

5. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Nice looking truck. How much are you looking to spend on a plow?

6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Hi Adam. Sharp lightbar. ;)

7. 09Busa

09Busa Senior Member
    from NY

Just my opinion.....be careful buying a used plow, unless you know the former owner, have seen it operate and there are very few if any issues with it (other than a service due) You could very easily end up with a statue in your yard, as you start to add up everything a used plow might need and you were better off buying brand new. Also, if you do buy brand new, be prepared to spend much more than a grand or two. The upside......warranty on labor and parts.........

8. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Most older plows (Western Unimount, for example) are so simple that there can only be a few things wrong with them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used plow, as long as it were priced accordingly.

In fact, I've always bought gently used equipment. We do all of our own maintenance and repair, so the warranty isn't that much of a selling point.

If you buy a Western Adam, I can walk you through any problems you ever have.

9. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Great looking truck

10. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

thats a sharp looking truck especially with all the lights and that light bar

11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Nice looking truck, I like the lift a lot. I've purchased my last two plows without seeing them work. Both worked perfect.

12. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

horray chevy! no offense but i dont understand why you have all the emergency lights if you dont have a plow?

13. squeaky3

squeaky3 Senior Member

thanks guys

most of the used plows in this area are older westerns...i might have a lead on a fairly cheap older western plow from a kid that i work with that his dad works on plows and sells them and might have a full used setup for my truck

and to answer the question why i have all the lights but no plow yet....well i like lights....my dad was a firefighter for most of my life so i have been around alot of fire trucks though out my life and just love all the flashing lights....and i just happen to randomly want a lightbar and i found out johnnyu had one...so i picked it up...got some strobes from ebay and put them all in and then just kept on going....then i decided i want to put a plow on it

14. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

hahhaha ya i guess that works your just doing it backwards from everyone else. i have a western and i like it alot its really easy to put on i can do it fast and its pretty simple. theres a few people on here with half ton chevys they beat the snot out of them but the trucks keep going so youll be fine just know its limits. good luck with that plow i hope it works out

15. squeaky3

squeaky3 Senior Member

ya im hoping it works out...i wont be doing a whole lot with it this year...just getting the feel mostly this year

ya i just have a thing with lights so i put them on....was originally just strobes and lightbar for car and truck shows...then i decided that i wanted to put a plow on my truck after seeing more and more 1/2 tons with plows and they do fine...so i feel like if im easy...which i would be at least till i get a bigger truck it will be fine

16. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

17. 09Busa

09Busa Senior Member
    from NY

For those of you that do all of your own maintenance and repair, a used plow can have it's benefits, especially if it is "gently used as you say. You are fortunate that you are able to do this work. For those that can not, (myself included, I'll be the first to admit, I'm not very mechanically inclined), I need the best service and warranty around. Many of my customers that have contracted with me, have told me that their previous contractors were always breaking down with inferior or older equipment. If you do not have a warranty, your plow breaks, you do not have the means to get it fixed, your customers can and will turn on you in a minute and spread the word. This has happened in my area so many times.
    This is first and foremost in my mind at all times. Just me

18. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I agree with the statement of breaking down, however that comes back to poor business planning. You must always have a contingency plan for inevitable failures. As you said, even new equipment fails, and takes time and money to repair. Having backup equipment (or another guy to cover your back) is the only way to prevent these problems.

19. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

hey squeaky saw you subscribed to my you tube account make sure to subscribe to my other one too bobcat61590 thats where all my plow videos etc will be!

20. squeaky3

squeaky3 Senior Member

o wow cool didnt even realize that was you...i was just bored and was browsing some vids and ran across your account and ya