1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New guy here, looking for work in MA

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Dragman10, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Dragman10

Dragman10 Junior Member

I just bought a used 3/4 ton 8600 gvw 4x4 Suburban with an 8 ft Western plow. I work a full time job as an automotive technician and from what I hear about this upcoming winter would not mind making a few extra bucks. I am the only one in my family who has never plowed. PLEASE GIVE ME A CHANCE TO LEARN! Would like to do parking lots in the Milford area. e-mail jhwills@hotmail.com with an offer and I'll see what I can do.payup

2. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I am pretty sure nobody will be interested unless you carry insurance.

3. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

You would think but you know that's not the case.:(

4. Dragman10

Dragman10 Junior Member

Your probably right! I plan to call my insurance company tomorrow to get commercial plates and insurance for plowing. Any tips on finding a job?

5. Dragman10

Dragman10 Junior Member

Please excuse all the ? but do you guys know anyone that may give me a trial run to see if this is for me? If it's not you may find a plow up for sale.

6. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

It's only one day, Relax.:nod:
    Don't sell yet! Best to Network with other plow guys in your area.

7. Dragman10

Dragman10 Junior Member

Your right Yaz I should relax but the problem is is that I told my wife I bought this truck to make extra money- and you know where that leaves me if I don't... ha ha

8. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Try picking up a phone book and call other plow guys. See if they need help. You might get a hang-up but at least you tried. See if any snowplowers are advertising in the paper. I'd go knocking door-to-door locally and see if your neighbors need to be plowed. There's a networking forum here. Go through it and see if there's anybody close to you.

9. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I hear ya...
    My wife just asked me.. when is going to snow. the're all the same! lol

10. Dragman10

Dragman10 Junior Member

Thanks for the info guys. I'll keep trying!

11. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Dragman: Call Kevin Meehan. If he likes you, you'll be all set for the season.

12. Dragman10

Dragman10 Junior Member

Chris-R: I was a technician for Kevin at Imperial Chevy for a couple of years, I had a great time there and liked Kevin very much. I didn't even think to call him, THANKS!:cool:

13. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Dragman,

There seems to be a shortage of guys willing to plow as drivers only around here. Maybe you can hook up with a landscaper or contractor and plow with their equipment first. Once you get the hang of it, offer your vehicle (insurance is a biggie, do not neglect!) and yourself as a sub.