1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New guy here - got a couple questions

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by technoman26, Aug 14, 2007.

1. technoman26

technoman26 Junior Member

Hey Everyone -

New to the forum. Glad I found the place! Just a couple of questions before I pull the trigger on a plow purchase.

I have a 96 F150 Short Bed 4x4 w/300 I6 motor and a 5spd manual tranny. It's my daily driver, work truck, hunting truck. I have spent the past 3 years making it new from the ground up. Runs great, drives great etc etc. My wife and I are building a house and we'll have a 400+ foot gravel drive to clear. So I'm now on hunt for a plow. Found a very good condition used Fisher 7'6" LD for $2300 including install. I'll be getting new push plates and wiring harness (it didn't come off a 96 F150)...

So, my questions are:
    1. Is this a decent plow for doing my driveway?
    2. Is this a decent price for the plow?
    3. Is it good plow for my truck?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Rob (technoman26)

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Yes to all of your questions. You will need front air bags for the front springs on your truck.

3. technoman26

Brian - Will I still want the air bags, if I have heavy duty coils in the front?

4. snow problem

snow problem Senior Member

I do not think this would be a good choice for plowing. One of my first plow trucks was a 96 f-150 with a 6 in it and a five speed. Bought the truck new and after putting the plow on it a I realized I made a big mistake. I did put air bags in it so it held the plow up ok, but the overheating issue was a real problem. That and the lack of power even with the 5 speed was the biggest problem. When you put a full size plow on a vehicle that is not use for plowing, you will have problems. I plowed with it for 1 year, traded it in for a f250, took the plow off of it and put it on the 250, all the problems were gone. IMO do not put a plow on that truck with that motor, If it had a 302 maybe.

5. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Very good point. As an upfitter, we do NOT recommend putting a plow on any 1/2 ton truck. Even though we do it, we have our customers sign a waiver that we dont recommend it.

6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

fisher ematch says:

Not for use on trucks with quad shocks. Recommended with optional heavy duty front suspension package only - (F150 3800lbs., F250 4600 lbs., F350 4X4 4800 lbs., F350 2WD 4000 lbs.).

this is for the Ld blade. it actually lists the older f150's up to a hd 8 1/2. no kiddn!
    id check you door sticker for gfvw rating and your suspension. then make your choice.

7. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

On the other hand, if you are ONLY using it for YOUR driveway, I would think you would be fine. The problem is that when your friends and neighbors see that you have a plow on your truck, that is when you start to get into trouble. If you can afford to jump up to a 3/4 ton or bigger with a snow plow prep package on it, I would recommend it.

8. technoman26

Is my answer a simple "NO" after all? Regardless of Heavy springs?

Door jam sticker list GFVW as 2700lbs. Is there more to GFVW than heavier springs? Can I increase GFVW by adding the air bags? Or is there more to it than that?

I'm not planning on plowing anything but my drive and parking. My plow will live at my house. When snow comes 1. Put plow on 2. Plow driveway, 3. Take plow off.

Thanks for the help.
    Rob

9. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

i may be wrong but i thought the 300 actually had more torque than the 302??

10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I had bags and heavy springs in my 94 F150. I plowed with that for 4 years and no major problems at all. Other than just the weight of the truck it was a great plow truck! Now my 06 F250 is a much better truck for plowing but again if your only doing YOUR driveway you will be fine! I know tons of guys who plow with 1/2 tons, both commercial and residential all winter with no problems, again you'll be fine. But my 1/2 ton was a heavy half ton.

11. snow problem

snow problem Senior Member

Brian, was that 94 a six or 8, and was it a manual. The problem I find is whan you put a full size plow on a 1/2 ton truck. I know a lot of guys run them but I have had problems.

12. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

For just doing your own drive it will be fine.