1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new guy help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ukcats, Oct 30, 2009.

1. ukcats

ukcats Junior Member
    from Pa

This is my first year plowing and salting. I was asked from a client who I mow during the summer about snow removal this year. The property is still being developed and only has 2 homes on it right now. If possible what is a good price to quote for only salting the property. Its right around a mile of road that loops around? I will be using a Meyers hitch mount salter for this year.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You're not going to plow this property? What - spread salt on top of unplowed snow?

3. ukcats

ukcats Junior Member
    from Pa

I will be doing the salting the other guy will be plowing it. He doesn't have a salter on his truck.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Ok. I just reread your question and realized you're using a tailgate salter so you'll be using bagged. I've only used a Vbox and bulk sand/salt, so I wouldn't be much help. I hope you have better luck coordinating with the plow guy than I did.

5. ukcats

ukcats Junior Member
    from Pa

won't have any problems with my plow guy. hes done plowing for me before and hes my neighbor

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Charge 3 times what the material will cost you.

7. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

This is true, but if you are using bagged salt, you have to remember, you have to be competitive with somebody who is using bulk salt, if you are going to be servicing a large property, as bulk salt is cheaper than bagged salt. You may want to only go only go about 2.5 times what the materiel cost. Of course this depends on your salt storage situation or purchasing.