1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new guy help guys???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by cobra333, Nov 28, 2006.

1. cobra333

cobra333 Junior Member

was wondering guys im just starting in business .. .. what type of plow should i go with residential and some commercial probably equal business ... from both .. with a f150 4x4 new plow for a new guy in business .. let me know please ..???

MY BIG QUESION IS i know it sounds stupid but i will pratice at it but when u plow how do u not crack or scrap the customers driveway with the bottom edge of he plow what angle is the safest on the plow for residential drives ..

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  2. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Lots of different people here will tell you to buy a certain brand, or style. With a 1/2 ton truck, I personally would not go larger than a 7 1/2 ft plow. As far as brand, check locally, and see what your options are. Always smart to shop local, so parts and service are readily available.

Good Luck with the new venture!

3. cobra333

cobra333 Junior Member

thanks bro

thank s for the reply

4. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

:nono: You will not crack or damage the driveway unless the driveway is allready for cracked or damaged. I agree with jcesar do some research on your truck and what
    plow will go with your truck,:salute:
    Good luck

5. Holdembratt

Holdembratt Junior Member

New guy.

Hey I am new here and about as green as you can get as far as plowing goes (from central oklahoma). But I will "one up" the origanal poster as far as dumb questions (obviosly I didn't think it was dumb either), Ok anyway how does one go about plowing a residential driveway with a truck. Do you just pull straight up to the garage or whatever, put the plow down, then back up?? Sorry, clueless here. All this snow we are getting in oklahoma just got me thinking about stuff (6-10" in oklahoma, a lot for us).

Thanks and sorry for the ignorance.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yep, it's called backdragging. Pull back about a truck and a half length. Then turn around and push it out.

7. soccerlawn

soccerlawn Member

The thing is once you drive over it twice already and pack down all that snow, will the plow scape up your track marks? I'm asking being a fellow newbie...

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The ability to scrape once you drive on it will be affected a lot by the weight of your plow and its angle of attack. Most 7.5' plows weigh in the neighborhood of 550 to 700 pounds and there shouldn't be much problem. Think of when you used a shovel to get under packed-down snow - same principle.

9. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

I do not have an incredible amounts of experience especially with driveways, mostly commercial lots but when i do plow a driveway i back all the way in, drop my blade and clear most of it driving forward then i turn around and just backblade the left over by the garage... as long as you dont drive over the same tracks over and over again and the driveway is smooth, it wont leave tracks... my advice is dont plow any driveways that are really broken up... my aunt insisted that i plow her driveway but it was broken up in the middle and lets just say there was more asphalt then snow at the end of the pile... I would also recommend no more than a 7.5' footer on an f-150... this might piss off the ford guys out there but I know the late 80's early 90's fords have very week chasis especially when plowing... I would try and buy a used plow to save some money with that f-150 and when you eventually upgrade definately go with a 3/4 ton... much better for plowing...

10. scottp

scottp Junior Member

back drag for hiniker

i was wondering if anyone knows where i can get a back drag to fit my hiniker, hiniker does not make one. any aftermarket companies that you would know of or a website ? any help would be greatly appreciated .

11. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

what year f150