1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Guy has a question. Is this a Western Plow?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by TheBeast76, Feb 5, 2010.

1. TheBeast76

TheBeast76 Junior Member

Hello Hello,

My name is Danny , hailing from Grand Forks ND. I have a couple of questions and maybe someone out there can help. I have a rust red 1976 Chevy 1/2 ton with a old plow that's nickename is "The Beast" The guy who sold me it told me that it was a Western Plow. I'm not sure to this because I can't find any markings to verify. I know he said he bought the plow the same year as he the truck in 76 (and it looks to be that old, cabled controlled and all.) Well every year the hydraulic system needs constant "babying" to maintain it,, and this year the belt is starting to slip, I can't adjust it anymore because it's the original trucks own power steering belt that's slipping ( The power steering pump is connected to the hydraulic pump of the plow as the pics show......yeah it's been modifed...or rigged, whatever)

This brings me to my questions.

1. Is this a Western Plow from what you can tell??

2. Can I modify the plow to use a electric all in one pump/lift ram and controls I've seen in newer model Western plows. ( like a Mark IIIA system)

I'll include a link to photos of the truck and plow and any help would be great and thank you in advance!

-Danny

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd265/SonicBassman/The%20Beast%201976%20Chevy%20with%20%20Western%20Plow/

2. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

In my opinion I see a western plow western A frame a Fisher Turn table and Hydralics and controls unknown to me

3. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

It looks all western to me. It would be VERY easy to modify using a universal haldex control unit from northern tool. Comes with the controller box, motor, and would connect right to your existing hydraulic system. You could go for an all enclosed western system, but I think that would be more work and more expensive than getting the universal system from northerntool.

4. StorksAuto

StorksAuto Senior Member

Yes this is Western
    The blade is normal the mount is off a differant truck and the modified it to fit that Chevy.
    The hydraulics are using Western cable control but the pump arrangement is a rig looks mostly home made. Yes you can take an electric pump and mount it up on that frame. you will need longer cables or get a cew control and cables all together. Add a solanoid and power cables and you will be set.

5. TheBeast76

TheBeast76 Junior Member

yeah, it's a old chevy powersteering pump, all custom hose runs, alot of them.... it works pretty good, but i have a hard time keeping tension on the belts. until I reinforced the hydraulic pump bracket with angle iron. So I would love to modify this system as I love the truck and plow, was my dads and he used it for years, I've seen him drive in...and back out of many snow filled culverts and the truck didn't even lose a step. It's a beast!

6. TheBeast76

TheBeast76 Junior Member

So what model pump and cable control would be the best for this frame???

7. StorksAuto

StorksAuto Senior Member

Well the best would be going to an electric solanoid pump getting that harness and a hand held control. But that convertion is not cheap. We have rebuilt Mark III Cable pumps for $550 that bolt right on and then a new set of cable and control is around $150 solanoid $12 and battery cables for $30. This would eliminate you belt drive stuff. The control you have under the hood is tha same style they use on that pump so you would allways have spair parts too.