1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New guy checking in

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by shaltac, Jul 8, 2007.

1. shaltac

shaltac Junior Member

Just wanted to check in and say hey. The wife and I bought a nice little home on 9.3 acres last January.

Nice big 1920's 90x40 barn, a 60x35 quonset hut, 2800sqft 1870's farm house with a 1500sqft ranch attached for the monther-in-law to live in... 600+ foot of driveway to maintain... sigh!

It was a mild winter and we only needed it plowed a couple of times. Lucky for us the neighbor who bought the adjoining property (with a right of way over our driveway) is a contractor with a plow, and was able to give us a reasonable rate on periodic plowing. Snow fencing helped a little, and really good tires made a big difference.

A couple of months ago my little '03 SVT focus was acting up and in need of some major repairs. I had been looking at Diesel pickups to tow my "Mud truck" around with. Due to some discounts through work I was pushed to GM products. Bad timing on finaces and I missed out on a beautiful dark red extended cab '06 leftover GMC. I went hunting and the only GM diesel leftover I could find new on the lot was a Chevy work truck with the plow package, tow package, locking rear, and an 8' Western plow attached. The dealer had the original package sticker at $40,000 (and it all added up when using the option calcs on the GM site). With the rebates etc. they were trying to sell it for $35,000. With the special financing I was able to get (what I think is a good deal) at $29,000.

So now the plow is parked, the truck is getting ever improving fuel milage at 3000 miles (18+mpg unloaded, ~15mpg towing 8000lb trailer loaded with a big heavy muddin machine), and I'm trolling your site trying to learn what to do before I have to do it next winter.

Just so you don't get the wrong impression, the neighbor doesn't want to plow the driveway - he just did it out of need - so I'm not taking food out of his mouth. I also wasn't actively looking for a plow truck. Bought a $2000 special when we moved in, and it blew up on the way home. So I'm a little gun shy about wrecking my new truck by plowing with it.

Thanks for looking
  2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

paved driveway? That will make a difference in how much your truck gets beaten up (well, early and late in the season when the ground is softer). Generally though, just doing your own drive with it, your truck should hardly notice the extra work put to it with plowing. Heck, many of us ran lighter trucks doing all residential driveways with no problems. You should be in good shape.

Welcome to Plowsite!

3. shaltac

shaltac Junior Member

The driveway is um "paved", or was at one point. Is mostly patch and crumbling asphault now. Can't stone it or repave it without a complete tear off and regrade. I'll be going light on the plow blade to keep the driveway as intact as I can.
    I'm sure the truck will be fine, just being a worry wart.

4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

When you get a moment, we love seeing pictures of trucks (and plows).
  5. shaltac

shaltac Junior Member

The fleet from a distance

Low and Slow - my '79 mudder

I'll get some better pics in a bit.... Too freekin hot for me
  6. TEX

TEX Senior Member

well welcome and congrats too
  7. SuperPlow Guy

SuperPlow Guy Inactive

Have you considered a SuperPlow for your new loooong gravel road? www.superplow.com
    Will do a nice job, and good luck with the farm.