1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New guy checking in & a quick Question

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by bschurr, Nov 8, 2011.

1. bschurr

bschurr Member

Hey all - I have a 1997 TJ and recently picked up a used 6'9" Fisher Plow set up on a Minute Mount. I am only planning to plow my driveway and help out a couple of neighbors - no commercial plowing activity.

Here are a few quck iPhone pics from the October 29th NorEaster in NJ -->

I bought a set of AirLift bags for the front because with the plow attached the front sags a bunch. I need to steal some time this weekend to get the bags mounted up.

One quick question - When the plow is attached and driving slowly in reverse, I can hear some light metallic scraping noise - noting horrific but definately not something that i am comfortable with either. Doesnt happen in forward, and the noise if fairly faint and coming from the front end. I looked for obvious signs of rubbing and couldnt see anything. Any idea what could be causing the noise? (u-joints maybe?)
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Front drive shaft rubbing on the exhaust.
  3. bschurr

bschurr Member

Thanks Meister - that sounds reasonable. I'll be sure to check out that area underneath for some obvious signs of contact. I was looking toward the axles as a point of contact but based on engine flex & only reverse your sugestion is likely spot on.

Appreciate the quick reply!
  4. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Nice rig.

Those Fisher plows look robust.

Is that the ST model?
  5. Jeepm@n

Jeepm@n Member

I've seen the dust shields for the front brakes get bent and make the noise only in reverse. Just pull them away from the rotor a bit.
  6. bschurr

bschurr Member

LD Series plow (now referred to as SD) and yes although a residential model the thing is a beast!
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  7. cjshloman

cjshloman Senior Member

very nice. did you get the whole set-up complete? I need to find something for my tj quick
  8. bschurr

bschurr Member

YUP - found it on CraigsList in Putnam County, NY. Complete plow, frame, wiring harness, controller and both mounting plates for the TJ for $1800. (not too bad for the NY Trai-state area)