1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

NEW guy buying a Fisher plow Questions/help?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Dirt, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Dirt

Dirt Junior Member

I'm planning to buy a new Fisher MM 8' HD plow i was told the "cutting edge" is an extra option? Can someone please explain this.
    Seems to me that the cutting edge is a necessity why is it optional?
    Anything else I should know or ask for I don't want any surprises.
    Thanks!!

2. Mnpowerstroke99

Mnpowerstroke99 Member

When the plow is new,the trip edge is about the same width as a cutting edge.Some people say you can use it without a cutting edge until it wears down 1"-2" from the cutting edge bolt holes and then put a cutting edge on.I'd put one on before it wears that far down if it were mine.

3. Dirt

Dirt Junior Member

Ahhh that makes perfect sense thank you!

4. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Well dont be surprised if the moldboard is an option soooooooooon. These companys are getting ********............. a new Yamaha outboard motor does NOT come with a prop or a GAS TANK ???? They are an option.............
    Back in the 1960's a new Super Cub airplane didnt come with a tailwheel !!! The price included a steel bar called a "tailskid"
    It is amazing what they call options these days .......
    Be good.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Mostly it is a weight issue. The same reason skid feet are an option on many units, it increases the number of acceptable vehicles capable of carrying a particular plow.

6. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Put a nice 5/8" x 8" x 8' cutting edge on it right off the bat, Fisher does not have these they think they're too heavy, in the long run it saves wear on the very expensive to replace base angle (trip edge).

7. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

As others have said Fisher does not put them on due to weight. I have ran mine for 5 yrs now with very little wear, if the wallet permits it i will be putting a cutting edge on mine mid winter.