1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New guy and new to Truck plows, i need your help and tell me what plow do i have.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by silverram323, Jul 4, 2014.

1. silverram323

silverram323 Junior Member

My father in-law use to have this on his 1995 chevy truck and dont use this any more so he is giving it to me. Im in the process of moving to a 20 acre hobby farm and will need a plow, it has been sitting for some time and the rams have surface rust so i think those are shot, all lines are dry rotted.

I have a 1995 Dodge ram 2500 Cummins i want to bolt this to, what Western bracket do i need? The controller is similar to this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078HD50K

What does it cost for a used mount? What do i need to do to service a old plow and get it up and running again?

Here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  2. silverram323

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

It's a unimount. Not in production anymore. Need to look on eBay or craigs for the mount and wiring. Or one of the sponcers

4. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Only other route would be to get an ultramount mount used and they make a conversion bracket

5. silverram323

Thanks guys

Is there only one mount then for my 95 ram?

So a unimount is what i search for then?

6. dieselss

Probably more then one. Gas or diesel mount

7. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You may find a used one. Don't think they are in production anymore. Worst cause ultra mount with uni adaptor

8. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Yes only one mount. Fits 94-01 1/2 ton and 94-02 3/4 and 1 ton. I have one I would sell for 450.00.

9. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

That's a pretty nice looking old uni-mount Isarmatic. They were a great plow, simple and reliable. You can buy these mounts from Western in pieces but you can't get the kits any more. I have fabricated a few mounts for old plows like this but it cost lots more than $450 so I would snag that mount offered above.

Judging by the shape of the headlights it is a two plug system. That means there will be one plug with two big pins (motor power) coming from the battery and switched by a big relay. The other plug will have a bunch of small pins, three of them are for the three valve solenoids and the rest are for head, marker and signal lights. The two plug system had a pretty nasty relay isolation system (switches the headlights from the truck to the plow). If you didn't get the relay vehicle side harnesses you can still buy them but it might be easier just to put a switch on the dash to switch manually between truck and plow. You don't want to just tie the plow lights in parallel with the truck because then the truck lights shine on the back of the blade and make it real hard to see especially when the plow is elevated and your on the highway. One great thing about these old relay systems is that you don't need to connect the relays to the headlights for the plow to work. The western web site has all the schematics and electrical cables for that unit so its' easy to find part numbers. It's just the mount kit that is no longer available.

Someone mentioned the adapter kit above... The next (and present) generation of mount, after uni-mount, is what they call "ultra-mount." You could buy and ultra-mount truck mount and then put an ultra to uni adapter but they are ugly things. They push the plow out about a foot from the front of the truck and then hang so very low that you will hit the curbs and speed bumps all the time. If you were planning to get a newer plow in a year or two this might be an option but don't buy it for long term use on a uni.

10. silverram323

I cant seem to pm you, i would like to call you. Where are you located? how much for shipping?

Please email me My user name at hotmail.com and make sure you mention western plow mount in subject so i dont miss it in my junk mail.

Kevin

11. silverram323

The plow is older but hardly used. It will need new rams, there rusty form sitting out side for the last 5 winters.

My father in-law has a controller that comes with the plow, but do they make a plug and play harness for the lights? That would be nice..

going to do some more research on this head light stuff.

12. dieselss

Yes they make a proper headlight adaptor

13. silverram323

14. silverram323

15. dieselss

Is your trk listed in the years that are specified? Trk side pwr and gnd plug? That what your talkin about

16. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes, the 62526 would be the correct headlight harness for that 95 dodge. the 62525 kit would be a more complete wiring kit, with the main harness as well as the headlight harness, and the relays and small parts. It would include all you need except the solenoid and battery cables.
    so, if you have all the wiring from your father in laws chevy, and that wiring is also for a Western relay wiring straight plow, and all that wiring is still good, and you just need the different headlight harness - then just get the 62526.
    Their should be plenty of used unimount mounts around still for that truck. It would be the '94 style, 1500-2500-3500. the part number was 62035. or, like the guys have said, the current way Western does it is an ultramount with an adapter stuck into it.

17. silverram323

Thanks for the info guys, i will be pulling the harness from the chevy and check it out in a week or a few weeks, in the middle of packing, moving to a new house in a month.

18. silverram323

OK guys, i got the main power wire harness and relay/solenoid off my father inlaws truck, I had the take off the one orange wire cause its tied to his head light switch.

So thats my next question, i need a headlight harness for the 1995 ram, should i get the 62525 kit for $200 or is there a cheaper way or does anyone have one laying around used? I also need the harness that plugs into my 9 pin controller.

This kit http://www.storksauto.com/index.php/62525.html looks like everything i need, i see the white connector on the left and that looks like for my controller.

Can i buy a new relay/solenoid if this one is bad, its really rusty and i dont have trust in it. The one im talking about is the the power wires go to it and the orange and black wires.

Im still looking for a unimount, ANYONE?????

Thanks for your time guys.

19. dieselss

You need it all minus the power wire.
    Yes you can just buy a solenoid. I'd suggest it

20. silverram323