1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Guy 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L (Pics)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Tnlk84, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Tnlk84

Tnlk84 Junior Member

Hello all, I have been reading this forum for a while and just wanted to say that this is quite an informative forum. Well I have wanted to plow for a while but just never have taken the risk. I recently purchased a Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 SLT 4WD, I need to find a parts truck because it needs a number of things. It runs surprisingly very well except for the fact I don't have a "reverse" gear, Im going to drop the trans hopefully next week and then go from there. For now I'm just trying to prep the truck for winter I guess, I took the bed off and just used an air hammer to get most of the surface rust on the frame off and repainted it with primer and undercoating. I am still in the process of finding a 7'6 set-up so I can do small commercial lots and maybe a couple of driveways. I am a full time employee for a transportation company in the west suburbs of Chicago and am going full time as a student up until December 14th. I'm looking forward to making a couple extra bucks this winter and hopefully make enough to buy better equipment for next winter, but for now this would have to do.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

nice,welcome aboard, if you do plan to plow with it after you rebuild the trans, def get 3 things, 1) an aftermarket tranny cooler, i dont believe your truck has a cooler on it from the factory, and 2) a trans temp gauge, the 2nd gen dodges are plaged with weak trannys, and nothing kills a tranny faster then heating it up. and 3rd get some timbrens for the front so the truck doesnt sag to the ground with the plow on it.

3. Tnlk84

Tnlk84 Junior Member

Hey thanks for the reply, your right I dont have a trans cooler. I was actually thinking about also putting 1 ton springs in the front and some good shocks to help me out with the extra weight of the plow.

4. 2low4nh

2low4nh Member
    from NH

i will be watching this thread. i just pickedup a 95 2500 with thecummins in it. the bodyis alotworse though.

5. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

there ya go, if you dont wanna mess with the springs the timbrens are wicked easy to add, only takes a few minuts. keep us posted on the progress.

6. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

1 ton springs might be alittle stiff imo and a bit over kill but hey they will deff hold the plow