1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Guy - 1 truck or 2?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Smitty58, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I'm just getting onto plowing this year. I'm going after residential since my lawn care customers have asked about me doing there driveways. I bought a quad with a plow and have a blower. I don't have a plow on my truck. I have a 99 f-150 ext cab 2 wheel drive with 8 foot bed. I pull a camper with it and it is my every day truck. If I wanted to get into plowing more than the quad will do what would make more sense, trading my every day truck for a 4x4 that can not only be my every day truck plus plow ,or keep the f-150 and buy another truck (or Jeep) for plowing? Is there tax advantages to having a dedicated 2nd truck that I would use 100% for business?

2. badranman

badranman Senior Member

If you had another truck could someone else drive the 2wd with the quad to help with sidewalks or other driveways etc.? Would this speed things up or slow you down?

3. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

badranman- I have a young man that wants to help me and I am having a heavy duty hitch hauler made to carry the quad on. So that would be a nice setup (I think).

4. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

You need a four wheel drive to plow. You can trade in your two wheel drive or keep it but one way or another if you are going to plow you need a four wheel drive. Two wheel drives spend too much time stuck in the snow.

5. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Smitty....here is a suggestion:::D find an older/used 4x4 truck with plow ( in good condition ) for a decent price you can afford. Make sure it will also work for your lawn care biz. You can depreciate 100% the 1st year and write off milage/fuel etc. also. This will give you minimal investment and if it works out and later you can afford it, buy a new OR newer truck.