1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New GMC Truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by knpc, Feb 23, 2013.

1. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

I traded in my 2009 GMC 2500HD ext cab with 100k on her. I got a 2013 2500HD crew cab with plow prep, heavy duty trailering/suspention package, and locking diff. I still have a few things to swap over, my towing/camper mirrors and strobes. We are supposed to get a few inches here tomorrow so I'll get a chance to try her out. hopefully it serves me as well as the the last truck.

Kevin

new truck1.jpg

new truck 2.jpg

2. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

Have you guys been turning up the t-bars on these new trucks ? I put 3-4 turns on my 09 but this one seems to handle the plow a little better

3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes,it most definitely will handle your plow better with that new beefy front axle rating and heavier frame.Nice ride.

4. bswalks

bswalks Member

Nice truck. I'm looking at the same thing, but I need a long bed.

5. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Nice Truck !

6. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

I haven't touched mine it does just fine

7. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Don't you mean a limited slip rear differential?

8. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

No, I meant automatic locking rear differential
    At least that's the term GMC uses for the option :)

9. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Its called a G-80 locking rearend , limited slip is so 1980s.

10. trevier

trevier Senior Member

If you don't mind me asking how much did you get for your trade it? My 07 classic is over a 100k and I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

11. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

very nice truck!

12. FF/P215

FF/P215 Senior Member
    from 01085

Nice truck, congratulations.. good luck with it, hopefully it does end up snowing here at some point!!

13. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Its snowing now! Very nice truck. I wouldn't touch the bars, it'll hold the plow way better with the new suspension.

14. ceptorman

ceptorman Senior Member
    from Indy

Nice looking truckThumbs Up
    If you have worked it yet, can you tell if it's stronger than your other truck?

15. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

They gave me 18k for my old truck. The new truck had an msrp of $44,500 and I got it for $36,500, thought I got an okay deal. Always get a little screwed on trade ins, but its worth it to me not to deal with the hassle of selling it myself.

16. knpc

knpc Senior Member
    from MA

Thanks for the compliments guys. I like it so far and it does seem to handle the plow better, though I just had it on driving back from the dealership. It certainly doesn't squat much when the plow is raised.

17. mikes-plow

mikes-plow Senior Member

AGREED, my boss has an '11 2500 hd crew cab with d-max and a 9'6" x-fisher v and hasnt touched the t-bars. truck doesnt even flinch when he picks the plow up

18. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Does is still have clutch packs?

Does it still allow the rear wheels to be unlocked aka slip?

Then it should not be called a locked rear.

Jeep has a rear that you lock it stays locked. It will not slip.

Now if GM wants to call their "automatic lock up rear" means the rear will automatically lock and unlock without driver input, then all GM did was find a new name and a new way to sell their limited slip rear.

19. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Limited slip differentials are considered a compromise between a standard differential and a locking differential because they operate more smoothly, and they do direct some extra torque to the wheel with the most traction compared to a standard differential, but they are not capable of 100% lockup.

So; Auto Locking Rear > Limited Slip > Open.

20. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I know the answers to my questions.

To say locked means locked. To say open means open/never locks ups.

Whether GM decided that limited slip name needed to be replaced with auto lock it still is a limited slip rear. Hence yellow advertising. Nice truck the OP got but still playing word games on GM's part.