1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New, getting late 80's F-250 with plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by northoceanbeach, Feb 26, 2005.

1. northoceanbeach

northoceanbeach Junior Member

That's all I know, I need a truck, and some family has an F-250 with a plow. They bought it 8 years ago, and it has less than 100K on it, and they haven't used the plow. I don't know why. Also just got a new tranny. I'm wondering what I can do with this thing to make money. I know it would probably help you more if you knew what kind of plow, but i don't know. It's a good one though, they told me it was really nice. I have read through a good few posts here and it looks like alot of you have pretty new trucks. I am planning on relocating soon, just for something new, so if I could make money plowing, this might affect my decision. So what I want to know most is...

1. Is this truck suitable for making money from plowing?

2. How do I learn how to plow?

3. Is there a great need out west for plowing? Or are there already plenty of experienced people willing to do it?

4. What kind of a start up cost is involved? Assuming my truck and plow are functional and ready to plow, what other costs are involved and how much?

Thanks much. :help:

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Its very simple , if the truck runs , its cheap , and the plow works , buy it and give it a shot . No guts ,no glory , nothing to lose , nothing to gain .

3. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

1. Is this truck suitable for making money from plowing? Yes, if it is in good mechanical condition and you keep it that way. That takes more time and money on an older truck.

2. How do I learn how to plow? You just have to get in the truck and start doing it and learn from your mistakes. The more you read here first in all the old threads, the less rookie mistakes you'll make, hopefully.

3. Is there a great need out west for plowing? Or are there already plenty of experienced people willing to do it? "Out west??" What the hell does that mean? I'd say they are all set for plowing in Los Angeles. Areas in higher elevations are another story, you need to be more specific. It doesn't matter how many other people are doing anything, there's always room for one more.

4. What kind of a start up cost is involved? Assuming my truck and plow are functional and ready to plow, what other costs are involved and how much? Other costs would be proper commercial and or general liability insurance, advertising and signage if you choose to do either, some sort of ballast and standard emergency equipment like a shovel, tools, first aid kit, tow straps and so forth.