1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Garage Pictures

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by linckeil, Dec 29, 2011.

1. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I finally bit the bullet and put up a detached garage like I've been dreaming of doing since I was 16.

It's 36 feet wide, 28 feet deep. has 10 foot high walls, and a loft upstairs with an 8 foot ceiling, trailing down to a knee wall. the loft does not stretch the entire width as I left one bay open up top with a catherdrial celing so I can install a lift. I put a slider upstairs with plans of building a deck/carport off the right side of the building. I also installed provisions to later run in electric high voltage, low voltage (phone,cable, internet), water, and then septic going out.

It is a posted foundation with direct burial pressure treated 6"x6" posted buried 4 feet (and on virgin soil) sitting a top a precast concrete slab and packed with gravel. On top of the posts are 2"x12"s doubled up, and off that is the standard 2"x4" construction.

There was a lot of site prep work that had to be done. the property slopped significantly and you can see the retaining wall I built. I spaced it back for enough so that i can easily drive around the back of the building. In the spring I'll finish the driveway off so I that I can do a loop around the entire building. 15 triaxle loads of boulders, 15 triaxle loads of smaller stone, and 6 triaxle loads of asphalt millings.

I can go on and on, but those are the key points. Enjoy the pics......

2. linckeil

from CT

some more.....

3. linckeil

from CT

a few more.....

4. linckeil

from CT

and some inside....

5. linckeil

from CT

and a couple taken from the loft above.....

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

That looks really nice! Thumbs Up
  7. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping Senior Member

Nice! I would LOVE something like that!
  8. Cutter1

Cutter1 Senior Member

Where the hell is the beer fridge?
  9. exmark

exmark Senior Member

Looks awesome man. Are you going to put an office in the loft?
  10. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

Very nice, how big is it?
  11. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Looks sweet. The roof looks like a non walker, how steep is it?
  12. linckeil

from CT

thanks guys - i'm very happy with it. to answer your questions:

beer fridge will be first addition once i run power out there (in the spring).

not sure what i will do with the loft - will be storage for now, but could later become an office, a pool room / bar, or maybe a small studio apartment.

its 36 feet wide, 28 feet deep.

roof has a 10/12 pitch, so likely not a walker - at least not walked by me!
  13. D Mack

D Mack Member
    from L.I N.Y

The loft is a no-brainer. big screen TV, X-Box, PS3, sound system, bar, theatre seating, card table, and a deck out that sliding door with hot tub, BBQ, and smoker.
  14. ceptorman

ceptorman Senior Member
    from Indy

Nice clean garage setup. Isn't it a great feeling seeing that all come together? Enjoy!!Thumbs Up
  15. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Vinyl siding 5" or Hardi Board?
  16. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes yes yes :nod:
  17. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

You just made my dream a reality!! Looks awesome man.
  18. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Curious to now how you got away without a foundation?
  19. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

wow that is definitly well thought out!! looks great.....and i second the foundation question!!!
  20. fireside

fireside Senior Member

How did you meet code for positive means of attachment to your 6x6 post buried in the ground to your rim joist? That design would never fly in my area with any mount hardware or so on. It looks great.