1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Gadget

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nsmilligan, Jul 15, 2003.

1. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

2. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

car chip

That logs ( The EX version) the same info the police take from your vehicle after you had an accident . Then they use that information against you such as you were 5 mph over the speed limit and nail you . Very BIG BROTHER like .

3. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

LOL,The last job i worked had bought a 2001 Mack tractor/trailer,the truck needed to go back to the dealer(couple hundred miles away) so the truck driver ran it up,while he waited they had downloaded the computer off that and faxed a copy of the numbers back to our boss (this was a municipailty!)The mechanic stated he didn't feel the truck should be driven in quite such a manner:eek: :nono: ,Our boss hung the paper next to the guys time card so he could read it when he punched out:D It made for a good laugh the next day:p

The drivers defense was he wanted to "work out the bugs" before the warranty was up!

Amazing what computers can do nowadays.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

When I was trucking, my employer installed a computer on each truck that logged vehicle speed, engine rpm, milage, and elapsed time. Any stop over 3 minutes was logged as such and had to be explained at the end of the day. We plugged in to an infrared scanner that downloaded the memory and printed out a log sheet.

They installed the units to improve production, but it was counter productive, we all worked to rule after they were installed. I'm with you, BWhite, Big Brother is Watching!:eek:

5. nsmilligan

I think it would be useful for the single truck owner too. Since the EX version can be set to monitor 4 out of 23 selectable parameters, such as engine temp, voltage, I assume trans temp and pressures since these can be read from the computer, 300 hours would cover a lot of plowing, download to your computer, and look at what's been happening to your truck, for a less then $200 it might be worthwhile

Bill

6. Arc Burn

You may not want to know:eek:

This is probably the reason i'm only a 2 truck operation,with no reliable subs i'm scared to lay out the money for more equipment to get beat up.I know how i can be from time to time and i'm flipping the bills,i don't want to think what some else would do:nono:

7. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

An ex-neighbor of mine does security camera type work and he was once hired by a municipality to mount a (hidden) video camera on a truck to record where the driver had been during the course of the day. I don't recall what they were trying to catch him doing, but they caught him...

8. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

The info would be good for the owner . The ex unit also doubles as an OBDII code reader . But to have an insurance claim denied because you were going 5 mph over the speed limit or being charged with a crime because you were a certain amount over the speed limit,isnt right. Certain GM vehicles and others can do already collect and store info if the air bag fires

9. nsmilligan

I think some of you are missing the point, big Bro is already watching most post 96 vehicles, but only the manufacturer & police have access to the data, this gives you access first, the key to any good defense. Also if employees are aware they are being monitored ( that's why we have foreman, supervisors etc) then they will do a better job, so if it's electronic and doesn't violate any rights, I think it's great. I can't afford to babysit my employees, nor hire someone to do it for me, and it's not that I don't trust them, and I feel in most cases the data supplied by the logger would support my drivers if something happened because I have good people working for me.

Bill

10. Arc Burn

Point taken from the get go,just adding extra stories is all.If you feel it help protect your drivers than buy it up.

As for the gov. watching you,thats a 2 way street,the technology is pretty handy when it proves the jackxxx that just hit you is at fault,then again it could clue you in on that employee with the lead foot:nono:

One things for sure,your not gonna stop technology wether it's good or bad so we might as well enjoy the good ideas.

Poor Pelican would still be wearin woodin shoes if not for technology:D

11. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

data control

So after every storm one could pour over the data hour after hour and dock pay for any throttle postion sensing over 50 or 60 or seventy percent.....100% and your fired . Maybe to many rpm's can have a sliding scale for pay docking . wheel spin dockage ? idling to long ? to much time spent in reverse , maybe a dunkin donut sensor . Maybe a plow drop counter or tripping the trip springs to many times LOL . Wow this is getting to complicated